Monday, March 3, 2014

Nice Detour To DeSoto Falls



COLD!

Well, the hike I had planned for Thursday that I went over in my previous blog (The Perils Of Winter Hiking or How Snow Miser Kicked My Ass!) ended let’s say prematurely. As I also mentioned it allowed for a detour and second hike to a place that I have wanted to hit for quite a while and that is DeSoto Falls.

 Before I got there after leaving the Byron Reese Memorial, which serves as the day hiker parking, I made two stops. The first was at my favorite outfitters/gift shop, Mountain Crossing which if you have ever read this blog know that it is at Neel Gap. My next stop is about half-a-mile south at the Blood Mountain Cabins store. I have always wanted to stop there and because I had time I did. It was a cool little store with an even cooler yellow tabby named Pumpkin.

Mountain Crossing at Walasi-Yi.
Entrance to the Blood Mtn. Cabins store.

Inside the store & that is Pumpkin.




Walls of ice on the rocks of US 19.
So after leaving the store I started the six-mile journey down US 19 to the DeSoto Falls Recreation Area. On the way I passed some wonderful falls of ice that had frozen to the rock which glisten in the sun, they were just beautiful.  Once I passed these icy wonders, that reminded me of my folly to challenge Snow Miser, I made it to the entrance of De Soto Falls. The recreation area is split into two sections. One is the large camping area and the second, where I parked, is the day use area. It has an information board a vault toilet, place to pay the day use fee (which I didn’t see until I was leaving) and a sign pointing the way to the trailhead.

Sign at DeSoto Falls.

Vault toilet, information sign & day pay booth.

I was the lone hiker at DeSoto Falls.



Sign at parking area.
On this day I was the only car in the recreation area, which is strangely unnerving. Like my hike earlier in the day when you are totally alone it sometimes lets the mind wonder. Anyway, the hike to the trailhead is a pleasant quarter of a mile stroll along Frogtown Creek. When one gets to the footbridge you come to a large sign that tells the story of how the falls got their name. Here also you find out that there are two falls to the left on a quarter-mile trail is the lower DeSoto Falls. To the right on a slightly longer trail, of ¾ of a mile, is the path to the upper falls. 

Small falls on Frogtown Creek.

The footbridge near the trailhead.

The sign tells the story of DeSoto Falls.

I am going right.



The green blaze leads the way.
So, I decided to go right to the upper falls. I figured it was the upper falls so I should see it first and when you are a little tired it is best to start with the longer trail. So, this green blazed trail was a wide and well maintained dirt path that meandered up.

It had some uphill spots (I guess because I was going to the upper falls), but nothing too bad. The only thing making it tough was the hard, cold seven miles I had done earlier in the day. Anyway, after about 10 minutes I came to a post with no sign, looked left and spied one of those warning signs you see at waterfalls and I with that knew I had arrived.

Warning sign leads to the view deck.
Upper DeSoto Falls.

The top part of the falls.

Bottom half & if you look close you can see ice.

Frogtown Creek as it leaves the falls.


 As waterfalls go the upper falls was an impressive site. It is 200-foot tiered waterfall that flows down the mountain with a view deck right above the base. I will say that I liked this waterfall. On the falls a little ice could be spotted reminding me once again that winter was still in charge. Overall it had been a pleasant hike up to the upper falls

One last look at the upper falls.
After 15 minutes of enjoying the falls it was time to head back to the lower half. But it really is not half as I later found out that there is also a middle falls, but the trail to this falls is no longer open to the public. Back on the trail I arrive at the DeSoto Falls sign again and start the short hike to the lower falls. While not as long the trail to it is actually stepper than the one to the upper falls. You know you there when you come to a long hand rail that leads to the viewing deck (also there is one of those falls warning signs). While not as impressive as its upper sibling, it is a nice 35-foot falls and size wise reminds me of Squibb Creek Falls in Tennessee.

Now I go left.

While shorter the trail was steeper.

Hand rails point the way.

Observation deck & warning sign.

Lower DeSoto Falls

The bottom part is partially hidden.

Squibb Creek Falls in TN.



Frogtown Creek on the way back to the parking area.
After enjoying this smaller falls I headed back down the lovely Frogtown Creek back to the parking area. Overall it was a pleasant and not too difficult two-mile hike and made a nice finish to the day, but waterfalls always do. Anyway, if you’re in this area DeSoto Falls is well worth your time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment