Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Backpacking DIY: Making A Tent With Tarp Origami


I like DIY projects and today I had a little time before roof work so I decided to try my hand at making a tent out of a tarp.
The genesis of this project was wanting a tent for camping at the Cabin. I didn't want to use my main backpacking tent, but even a cheap tent is $40. Then I got my latest Backpacker Magazine and it had an article under Skill Set called Tarp Origami. It was an instruction guide on how to take a 10x 8x tarp and make a tent out of it. There were four designs but since two required trees on decided on the two that didn't.



The first was the easiest called a Holden Tent.  Lay the trap out and stake out the long edges. Then prop up the center with a trekking pole and then stake out front two corners. While easy one drawback is no floor.




That is not the case with the next design, the Jordy. You again lay the tarp flat, but this time you stake out the left corners and midpoint of the front edge. I don't know if I got this part exactly right but I used one trekking pole at the midpoint of the top edge and then one on the inside. Then I staked out the left and right front corners. I then tied a guide wire to try and pop out the side.  It has a floor, door, and vestibule. I think I will need some practice, but I would sleep in it. However, you can't beat the price...about eight dollars!






1 comment:

  1. Take a look at the following video, especially the last pitch: "5 Tarp Shelter Setups for Bushcraft and Camping in the Woods" (19:22), at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W76LyJdNYU&feature=youtu.be

    ReplyDelete