Thursday, January 2, 2014

Hiking Etiquette On The Trail Or In The Parking Area

Well, this is my first blog of the New Year I thought a good start for 2014 would be a short essay on trail etiquette. Now how one acts on the trail is important. I have met so many nice people, and my last hike at Buffalo Mountain was an example of that as I came across a number of nice people.

Most etiquette on a hike involves how one acts on the trail. Saying hi to other hikers is one piece of trail etiquette. Another, always try to give the right away to those climbing a slope. A third is not to steal from other hikers. I read a store about a guy on the AT (Appalachian Trail) who went on a crime spree back in 2004 (here is a good story about David Lescoe).The morale to this story is just be nice and have consideration for others on the trail is the best policy.

What most don't understand is this should also extend to the parking area too. I think everyone would agree that vandalism or breaking into cars are no-no's at hiking parking areas. However, one thing that some might never consider is parking too close to someone. That is either beside another car and dinging there door or making it hard to get for a person to get in or out of their vehicle. The other no-no, that would seem like common sense is parking too close behind someone and blocking them in. The reason I bring this one up because it just happened to me at Buffalo Mountain.

When I got to the park it was early and my car was one of only two vehicles parked at the Lower Trailhead, and the upper parking area was closed. So, I did come across a number of other hikers on the mountain which means the lot would be full. But, I got back to the car around 5pm the area was almost empty. That is except for someone beside me and another that I will just mince no words about, a complete jacknuts with Maryland tags, had parked right up behind me.
My car is the dark gray one & the Jack-nuts car is the white one.
I did get my car out (after a struggle), but not after scraping the lower right front bumper on a log I was parked next too (and I haven't heard the end of from my wife five days later). It happened right as I cleared the asshat's bumper. I guess I could have waited until this ass-hole showed up and moved his car, but I was afraid I might have ended up in jail. So, idiot from Maryland if your out there or to anyone else just show common courtesy in the parking lot like you would on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment