Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Times At Buffalo Mountain

Well, after a break for the Holidays, it was back to the trail. I was originally going to Sams Gap, but my hiking partner got the holiday flu (get better soon Glen). So, Winterhike reconvened at Buffalo Mountain in Johnson City.
I hit all the major spots White Rocks, Tip Top and Huckleberry Knob (which I visited back in the summer). I have to say going to Buffalo Mountain brought back memories of hiking on the mountain when I was at ETSU (East Tennessee State University) 20+ years.
The park is now part of Johnson City, but back then it was part of the Cherokee National Forest. Because it was National Forest land you could not just hike, but also camp. We use to go up there and sleep among the stars. I remember one night (actually earlier morning) after a few adult beverages my old friend Matt and I decided to hike up the access road to the communication towers. I walked by those same towers (looks like there are a few more today) it brought back memories and also made me wonder how we are still here.
I also met a number of people on the trail. There was a family from Sue St. Marie, Ontario visiting their son who attends ETSU. We talk about bears, hockey and curling, three of my favorite things. There was also an interesting father and son I crossed paths with at White Rocks. The son lived in Australia and was in for the Holidays. The two of them had come up the access road like I had years ago. What was interesting is the son was wearing slip-shoes with no socks (it wasn't that warm of day).
All-in-all it was the type of day on the trail I so enjoy, I got to hike, see wonderful vistas and met new people. Old times remembered and new ones made.
View from White Rock.
Pinnacle Mountain Fire Tower & Big Bald.
ETSU from Huckleberry Knob.
The old Access Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment