Thursday, February 20, 2014

AT Day Hikes: Roan Highlands




Me at Roan Highlands.
This edition of AT Day Hikes is at one of the more renowned sections of the Appalachian Trail (AT),  the Roan Highlands. If you have ever picked up a book on the AT or most photo books of the southern Appalachians and you will find at least one photo of some part of this hike. June is the most popular month for this part of the AT because the Catawba Rhododendron comes into bloom, but cool summers, fall leaves and cross-country skiing it is a popular spot year round.


The funny thing about hiking at the Roan Highlands it wasn’t my first time. Back in the early 90’s Matt Aloisio, Glen Yelton & I hiked up to Round Bald. Best that can be said and I am only speaking for myself, I might have been slightly under the influence and not totally in control of my faculties. Anyway, when I got to Carvers Gap and later Round Bald, as I would later tell both Matt and Glen, I didn’t remember any of it from back in the day.

Entrance to the state park.
Grist Mill.
So with that said lets back and speak about the 12 mile route up to Carvers Gap.  To get to the Roan Highlands, from Tennessee, one first has to reach the Town of Roan Mountain. The small mountain town of just over 1,000 is the hometown of my friend Glen (whom I mentioned above). I have been up there a number of times, I usually go to Glen’s families Fourth of July picnic most years (it is a lot of fun).  

Before getting to the mountain one first passes through Roan Mountain State Park. It has a lot of enmities including a visitor center (which I was going to stop at on the way back, but it closed five minutes before I got there). Since I have already mentioned this in my blog on Stone Mountain I like Grist Mills (future blog?) and there is one here.   Continuing on Tennessee Highway 143 one motors up Roan Mountain. There are a number of small overlooks on the way up and as can be seen by some of these pictures are worth a quick or long look, because they are worth it.


Vista from overlook.

Looking toward Unaka Mountain.

Hump & Little Hump Mountain.

Looking up at Round Bald & Grassy Ridge Bald.

Roan High Knob.
One of the many things that stands out about Carvers Gap, unlike some other gaps, is you can’t miss it. First, there is a huge sign, which tells you that one is pretty high-up at 5,512 feet. Second, Carvers
Carvers Gap.
Gap like a lot of the AT in this area straddles the NC/TN state line, making it part of the Cherokee and Pisgah National Forest. I do think it is interesting that the North Carolina sign is much bigger than the one for Tennessee. Another thing one will find here is plenty of parking. There is parking right off the road with room for about 8-10 cars (Appalachian Trail Parking). Then on the first right is a lot with ample parking for 15 or more cars. Also at this lot is a vaulted toilet, however on the day I was there, it was closed for the Government Shut-down that happened in October. Another victim of the shutdown was the road up to the Rhododendron Gardens it was also closed, that was a seasonal closure.
AT sign.

A small sign and steps point the way to the AT that heads up toward Round Bald. An interesting thing about this small sign that adorns a post at the start of the trail is it gives distances to certain spots on
the trail, but one, while still visible, has been scratched out and it is for the Apple House Shelter. For those who don’t know this shelter was just a half-mile from U.S. 19 at the end of this AT section. The shelter had seemed to have become a party place for local youths, so in 2012 it was removed.



Some of the ancient boulders.
At the start of this hike another thing one notices is the AT itself. In most places (that I have been on) it is a well maintained dirt path. Now there are spots that are rock (like Blood Mountain) and it does occupy sidewalk in Hot Springs, NC, but mostly a dirt path. Here on the other hand it is a wide gravel path that winds through a grove of pine trees on the northwestern slope. These trees have as I heard give this spot an “other worldly” feel. This part of the AT is called the Woodland Path and even more interesting than the pine trees are a group of rocks and boulders with an extraordinary history. The rock from here back to the summit of Roan High
Knob is dated at 1.8 billion years old. The Appalachian Mountains date back to 1.1 billion years. The going theory for the discrepancy in age is that this strata of rock is that it was originally part of Amazonia (what is now of Brazil) collided with ancient North America and this part was left behind and was shoved on top of younger rock.



Clouds start rolling in.


Some of Dr. Brown's trees.
When the AT exits the pine trees on the final approach to Round Bald you will find another relic of the past, this time man made. In the 1930’s Dr. D.M. Brown of Tennessee State Teachers College (now known as East Tennessee State University, ETSU for short) went to study the rapidly disappearing forest on Roan Mountain. He also, like many, was intrigued by the natural balds. The stretch of grassy balds that this hike covers, called the Grassy Ridge, is the longest stretch in the Appalachian Range. What fascinated Brown and many others is the origin of   So, it is easy to see why these natural occurring balds are of interest to many. All one has to do is look at Roan High Knob and it is covered in fir trees and then see the mostly treeless summit of Round Bald, which is at a lower elevation (by 459 feet).
these grassy balds remains a mystery. None of the balds in the Southern Appalachian Range are of
Grassy balds.
the alpine variety, like Mount Washington in New Hampshire and they seem to pre-date human habitation.

Anyway, to solve the mystery, Brown planted a group of fur trees on Round Bald and fenced them in to see how they would grow. While the seedlings grew to maturity, none ever produced viable seedlings. They are still there, but the trees are slowly dying off. Another feature of the Roan Highlands became evident as I approached the summit of Round Bald, the weather.



Mount Mitchell in the distance.
The forecast for the day was mostly sunny (with 10% chance of rain) and that was the case all the way too Carvers Gap, the sun was shining when I parked the car. However, when I exited the trees onto the open area of Round Bald a layer of clouds started rolling in. By the time I got to the summit of Round Bald, the top of Roan High Knob was like the Pink Floyd album “Obscured by Clouds.” Still at this time one can easily spot the Highest Mountain East of the Mississippi, Mount Mitchell.

You know when you have reached the summit of Round Bald because there is an old sign marking the 5,826 foot high point. There is another interesting marker on the spacious summit, it is a memorial marker for Pierce “Batman” Templeton, I don’t know the story, but it is a cool tribute…peace “Batman.”

Summit of Round Bald.

"Batman" Memorial.
Well, I still had more hiking to do and one of the good things about the Roan Highlands is that one’s next destination is visible in the distance, the peaks of Jane Bald and Grassy Ridge Bald. Like the trip up to Round Bald the decent was pleasant and flattens out at Engine Gap. It got its name from train engine that transported lumber from here to lumber mills in North Carolina, a name from the dark past of the mountain.
Jane & Grassy Ridge Balds.

Another name that comes from a tragedy is the name of the next peak…Jane Bald. It is said that the mountain is named for Jane Cook who cared for her sister Harriett, who fell ill to milk sickness, on the bald. Jane would get help for her sister, but it was all in vein because she would pass away days later. Remembering this, the hike up is a pleasant climb and when the summit is reached it is a much small area than Round Bald, with more vegetation.

Jane Bald.

Summit of Jane Bald.
One of the goats (photo from Baatany Blog)
The AT-Grassy Ridge junction.
That brings up an interesting program that’s currently underway on the balds. The Roan Highlands are under assault for evasive non-native vegetation, including Canadian Blackberries. In an effort to keep down these destructive plants a cool program has been introduced to the balds and that is Baatany Goat Project. These angora goats, donated in 2008 as a “retirement plan” inhabit the stretch from Jane Bald to Grassy Ridge Bald. According to their website and the information I have seen it
seems to be working. Unfortunately for me since I was there in October the goats were not on the mountain they summer on the balds from June to September.

From the trail, Hump & Little Hump Mountains
As one continues on the AT about half-mile one comes to a fork. The AT continues to the left toward Yellow Mountain Gap, Hump & Little Hump Mountains before ending this section at U.S. 19E. My path took me right toward the summit of Grassy Ridge Bald. This section was probably the most difficult. The trail is a 500 foot climb through rhododendron and
alder brush. But, once through this you come out on a large grassy bald with scattered rhododendron and spruce trees, but very spacious. It is said that the view is spectacular from here and one can see Grandfather Mountain, Linville Gorge and the Black Mountains.


Some of the cool clouds.

However, as I mentioned earlier the clouds had stated to roll in when I was Round Bald, but by this point they had gotten noticeable thicker. The Roan High Knob was total engulfed, and while Grassy Ridge was above 6,000 feet (6,165 to be exact) the clouds seemed to float right over the top and splashing into the valley. While I didn’t get to experience the full beauty of the vista, the clouds eerie quality was really cool. At the summit there is a plaque dedicated to local farmer Cornelius Rex Peake, oh and for fans of this blog (LOL) everyone knows I love U.S. Geological Markers and there was one here for me to enjoy.
Cornelius Rex Peake plaque.

U.S. Geological Marker.

As I made my way down to a rocky outcrop, there were four others already at the spot. Two were AT hikers and the older couple was out on a day hike. I ask about the outcrop on a ridge at the edge of the bald. I was told it was about a mile there and back to where we were, so I headed southeast toward this spot, which is called Big Roan Ridge.  It was like the hike up to Grassy Ridge Bald, one had to pass through more rhododendron and alder brush, but when I got out to the end of the ridge, it got me a little out of the clouds and I got a good look southeast into North Carolina, it was worth the 45 minute side trip.

Big Roan Ridge is to the right, I hike the half-mile to it.

Some of the rhododendron & alder brush.

N.C. mountains.


When I got back to Grassy Ridge Bald, the celling had dropped and I was now having fog floated across the summit. It never got too thick, so it was at this time that I thought I better head back. Just like the journey up, the one back was just as enjoyable. The clouds were still drifting above when I reached Jane Bald. However, when I started up Round Bald from Engine Gap I could see the clouds had dipped onto my next destination. By the time I got to the summit of Round Bald I ran into that 10% chance of rain that was forecast.

Looking back toward foggy Roan High Knob.

The beauty of the Roan Highlands.
Hump Mountain.

Round Bald on the way back to the parking area.
After a few pictures I headed for the tree line and when I came out of the pines the weather took another turn. Just 15 minutes before I entered the Woodland Path, Roan High Knob was covered, but when I came out the clouds were starting to dissipate and by the time I got to Carvers Gap the sun was out, just like how I started to day.
Yellow Mountain.

Black Mountains.

Clouds on top of Mt. Mitchell.
Round Bald & Carvers Gap.

I have been to a number of the best spots on the AT in the Southern Appalachians and there is no place, including non-AT spots like Mount Mitchell, which are any more beautiful than the Roan Highlands. There is not many day hikes on the AT or anywhere I would rank any higher, so if you haven’t been what are you waiting for!  It was a wonderful day. I am looking forward to doing a three-day here in June, when the rhododendrons are in bloom and maybe I will even get to see the goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment