Sunday, February 16, 2014

Snow/Icepocalypse 2014



This is going to be a short blog about this past week’s big event the Snow/Icepocalypse 2014. It is hard to believe that just yesterday morning it looked like a winter wonderland and today it is almost gone. I will say we were fortunate here in Dawsonville, GA as things were not near as bad as original predicted. At one point “the computer model” said 10+ inches, but at the end of the day we got four. I know that people had it a lot worse in the North Georgia Mountains and south of the metro area, but it brings me to something that bugged me this week. It was how the TV weathermen went absolutely crazy and I think stoked the panic that was seen all week.
I know after SnowJam in the last week of January that everyone would be a little jumpy after the chaos that ensued. Still, you think the people in authority would try to keep the panic down and not gin it up. I mean Glen Burns, on Channel 2 WSB-TV, was acting like it was going to be a scene from The Day After Tomorrow and we may never dig out. The reason SnowJam happened was because the people in power didn’t listen to the warnings given early that morning and then panicked when the snow hit and everyone hit the streets at once(see Charlotte this week didn’t they learn anything). Also, people acted like they were going to be snowed in for the winter. FYI, this is Georgia not Siberia.
Here are some pictures from the week:
Starts falling Tuesday.

The creek right out front of my apartment. Some of the flakes were quarter sized.

Mowers dreaming of summer.

Wednesday morning.

Deb out in the snow.

Deb headed up the snowy road.

A dapper snowman.

Yes that is GA 400.

Snow plow trying to clear GA 400.

It is State of Emergency.

Wind was whipping.

Trail near the apartment.

Our little creek.

Another snow trail.

The creek near the apartment on Thursday morning.

Winter wonderland for a few more hours.

The melt-off is well underway.

Mini-dozer clearing ice.

This shows how much snow had melted.

Finally, there is someone else I have a bone to pick with and that is the Forsyth County Parks Department. If someone calls and ask if the trails are open don’t say yes unless they are. I called this morning to ask if Sawnee Mountain was open and the person on the phone said yes, the trails are icy and I hike at my own risk and I said, ok. Well, I drove 20 minutes to the park to find out that the trails

Boo!
were closed. I was told that they original said that but they then decided to close the trails. Well here is a suggestion if you think you might close the trails how about saying that we are deciding what to do and call back to see IF we are going to close the trail. Oh, why is the visitors center open if the park isn’t, just an observation.
Where I wanted to go...the Indian Seats.

He didn't mind if I hit the trail, but Forsyth County did.

Well, still got a look at the snow-capped North Georgia mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment