Sunday, October 5, 2014

The Wood Booger Top 5: Favorite Day Hiking Gear



Well, this week’s Top 5 is one that is important to me when I am out on the trail and that is my Top 5 Day Hike Items. I must point out I debated about putting my camera on this list and it like my phone I care most places. Also, I am not putting my day pack on the list because that is an item that you can't hike without and I use it at other times. So, I am going to limit this to things I almost exclusively use to day hike. I have a number of cool items but these are my Top 5.

Honorable Mention:  Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter. This has to go to an item I take on most hikes, but I don’t use all the time and that is my Sawyer. I looked at a lot of filters before I decided on this one and I am glad I did. It has a simple design. It comes with three different size bags, you fill them up and then squeeze the water through or let gravity do the work. It is that easy to get filtered water. It has come up big on a number of different situations, like the time I took a wrong turn, at Yonah Mountain, and to hike half-mile uphill and my water ran out. It is what got me through the hike.

Number 5: First Aid Kit. This doesn’t sound sexy, but it comes in handy. Funny thing is I have used it more on what may be termed as “easy” hikes than harder ones. There is the time back in May I did the Hike Georgia trip to Wildcat Creek. I thought there will be a lot of people so I don't really need to care it, but then I told myself “You know you will need it.” Oh, and I did this guy broke his finger crossing the creek (see here for details) and I was able to help him tape it up.


Number 4: GorillaPod. Well, this little device has earned it’s keep in a short time. I picked this up back in the spring and it has been worth every penny. For those who don’t know it is a camera ti-pod, but its legs are bendy so you can hook it to a tree or trekking pole. I bought an xShot, but the GorillaPod is flat-out better. Oh, and if you use a phone opposed to a camera they make GorillaPod for phones too.



Number 3: Platypus Hydration Pack. I was skeptical of hydration packs, but people seemed to like them so I decided to give them a try. The only problem the one that came with my Kelty day back leaked, so I decided to get another. The Camelbak and Gregory were designed like the one I had that leaked. So, when I came across the Platypus Hoser. I loved the simple design of the hydration system. Water goes in the same place the hose connects to; the design is simple and great. I have had it almost two years and it has been great, this is the only hydration pack for me.

Number 2: Gaiters.  Ok, I wasn’t sure about these when I bought them, but I am a believer now. In books and magazine about hiking gear I kept seeing things about the advantages of gaiters. It was said they keep dirt, snow and other things out of your boots. I just didn’t know I thought this was just something that might be a waste of money. However, one day at REI they had a sale and I got a pair for $20. So, I put them and they did what they are advertised to do and keep crap out of my boots. But, it is what else they did that made them essential.  I have had a continuous problem; my boots seemed to come untied more than they should. The gaiters help solve this problem, which this alone would have made them worth the twenty bucks I spent.


Number 1: Trekking Poles. The usefulness of this item can’t be understated; they just make hiking easier, which help makes it more fun. This is another item I didn’t know if I wanted to invest in. I had a hiking stick, but when I went to Springer Mountain everyone had trekking poles. I asked, mostly AT thru-hikers, what they thought about how the worked and everyone I ask loved them. So, I found a set of two pairs one eBay and ordered them for Deb and I. The first time out I was hooked, I then found a set of REI Summit Trekking Poles at the stores member sale, while they slip a little they work and are still going strong. I now get asked by people what I think of trekking poles and I say get some, they are worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment