Sunday, October 12, 2014

Wood Booger Top 5: Märzen (Oktoberfest) Beers



Well, it is the end of the second week of October and I could think of no better time to do a Top 5 on the signature beer of October, the Märzen still better known in the U.S. as Oktoberfest beer.
While pumpkin is the new favorite of a lot of people in autumn (and I love them too), the beer that defines the 10th month and the festival that gives these beers their name Oktoberfest. The Märzen (which is the official name of the style) has its roots in 16th Century Bavaria where by decree the beer can only be brewed between September 29 to April 23, but mainly in March. The beer was traditional kept in cellars threw the summer where it can slowly ferment and then drank in the fall, specifically during Oktoberfest. While the German versions are still the most popular U.S. craft breweries have produced some fine examples of the Märzen style. I have had 43 different Märzen beers so without further ado here is my Top 5 (all BeerAdvocate ratings are mine).

Honorable Mention:  Hoss from Great Divide Brewing Company. While it is listed as a Märzen on BeerAdvocate it is brewed with rye and the first time I found it was spring-time (it is brewed year round). So, while it might not be a traditional Oktoberfest beer, it is really, really good. Hell, I don’t know many traditional Märzen that are any better. So, that is why it deserves a place on the list. BeerAdvocate Rating – 4.50.







Number 5: Oktoberfest from Foothills Brewing Company. I have had a number of Märzen rated a four on BeerAdvocate, but the one I went with was a North Carolina favorite. It has that nice dark gold color and a great flavor.  The others that rated a four are; Hacker-Pschorr Superior Festbier, Yuengling Oktoberfest, Fall Lager from Yazoo Brewing Company and Casco Bay Oktoberfest.







Number 4: Samuel Adams Octoberfest. This is my go to fall beer. I have probably drunk more of this than any other Märzen beer, so I know this is an excellent beer. I will say this may be…oh it is my favorite beer from Samuel Adams period. I even had one while writing this blog. BeerAdvocate rating – 4.25.





Number 3: DSB Oktoberfest from Depot Street Brewing. Yes, I know this is a surprise, how does a beer from Jonesborough, TN get this high on a Märzen list? It is just a damn good beer. I stopped by Depot Street Brewing last October after hiking to the Beauty Spot on the Appalachian Trail. I knew that had it at the brewery, but because it is made it small batches I could not get a growler, but only a 12 ounce glass of it. It might be because it was only available from the tap or after a day of hiking, but it had just a great flavor and I loved it. There is no question it is the best beer I have had from Depot Street. BeerAdvocate rating – 4.25.  




Number 2: Weihenstephaner Oktoberfestbier. Well, you had to know a German Märzen would have to make the list and what better offering than from the world’s oldest operating brewery. This former monastery in Bavaria brews one of the best Oktoberfest beers its BeerAdvocate rating from me is 4.25. While this is a great beer it is number two on this list and in Germany.








Number 1: Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest- Märzen. Before I had this one I had heard it was one of the best, so it was a case of high expectations and let me tell you it exceeded them. This beer from this famous Munich brewery has it all with the most balanced taste and such a nice color. This beer is the definition of the Märzen style. There are many reason I look forward to autumn and this is one of them BeerAdvocate rating is 4.50.

No comments:

Post a Comment