Monday, October 2, 2017

On To Day Two At The High Knob Naturalist Rally


Saturday started early as I was wanting to get to the High Knob Lake Recreation Area early to help setting up the Clinch Coalition Naturalist Rally.
I had to hike a mile back to the car, in the dark. I will admit I like hiking in the dark, I got to hear a Barred Owl and overall a nice jaunt. While just 15 miles to High Knob I had to drive up the Virginia Byway of the same name, which is gravel on the Scott County side.

Headed down in the dark morning

...toward the car.

Foggy morning on Tater Knob.

Gravel High Knob Road.

I got up with a little time to spear, so I did a quick trip up to High Knob Tower to catch the rising sun. I was suprised how cold and windy it was as my hike from the Cabin wasn't too bad.

Headed up for a quick trip to...

...High Knob Tower.

Tower as...

...sun came up.

Beautiful!

Next stop the receration area.

Once at the recreation area it was time to get to work. Unlike last year were I just attended the event for the first time I was helping stage the event this year (I am a board member now). I helped unload and set up and then manned the registration booth for part of the morning.

Reached the destination...

...for the Naturalist Rally.

Good crowd...

...raffle tent...

...Annie at one of the registration tables.

Times for demonstrations.

Copperhead.

Talking Wolves &...

...music by Strawberry Jam.

Snail darter man.

Then Steve inlisted my help preparing lunch. I started by putting the drinks on ice. Like I mentioned early it was rather cool up on High Knob and it made opening bags of ice tough. However, I got to warm up as I got to man the grill to cook the hotdogs. I don't know how many hotdogs I grilled, someone said about 300. While I was cooking some one brought four packs of veggie dogs and I cooked them up too. So as cook I decided to try a veggie along side the regular one. The first bite wasn't bad, but it went downhill from there.

Getting the drinks ready...

...there is the Wood Booger on the grill. (photo by Bill Harris)

Veggie dog on the left.

After that I got a little time to enjoy the rally. I went on a beaver outing, hiked around the lake and enjoyed some of the reptile demonstration. After that it was time to help breakdown the rally, which was some work.

Boation on the lake...

..courtesy of these guys.

Another cool booth.

Phil & Wayne leading hikes.

Phil dispencing beaver knowledge.

Beaver pond...

...& upper dam.

Beaver handy work.

The beaver repaired lower dam.

This way...

...on the Lake Shore trail...

,,,to the dam.

Finishing up the hike.

A Salamander.

Brett Barrett & an Alligator.


I finished the day with an extended visit to the High Knob Tower. Overall, it was another excellent High Knob Naturalist Rally.

Back at the tower...

...the vista in its shadow.

The Roan Highlands...

Another look at High Knob Tower.

A Large-Flowered Tickseed.

Time to say goodbye...


No comments:

Post a Comment