Sunday, October 1, 2017

Paw Paw Hunting Highlights Day One In Southwest VA


This is the weekend of the 11th Annual High Knob Naturalist Rally, so on Friday, I headed over to stay at the Cabin and head up to High Knob Saturday morning.
Since I was going to the rally I was taking my Dad's Toyota, I had to meet him and Terry in Gate City, because they had drop Lester off at the Vet. The reason they are going out of town for two weeks (he is being boarded while I am babysitting Bax). 

Headed into Virginia.

So, after switching vehicles I headed to Fort Blackmore and the Cabin. Because I drove the Toyota I had to hike in a mile...uphill. Even though I had to carry stuff it was a pleasant hike with plenty of wildflowers. 

Headed toward Fort.

Start of my hike up...

...the creek ford...

...the second gate.

Iron Weed...

...late season Oxeye Daisy.

The old cabin...

Final section up...

...through the last gate...

...to the Cabin.

Once there I got my backpack together and grabbed the fruit picker and headed up the ridge to look for Paw Paws. I did find a good number but what I else realized I was at least a week late. There were bunches on the ground and turns out that what I was told was true, it was a good year. 

Headed up...

...the trail in search of...

Paw Paw tress...

...& their treasure.

Once past the gate starts what I call

...Paw Paw Alley.

The second barn.

After I got back I grilled a deer steak, built a fire and a course some wood knocking and Squatch calls. This was my first solo trip to the Cabin and I liked it.

The old grill is still going...

Fire time.

It is Squatch call time...


No comments:

Post a Comment