Sunday, February 24, 2019

The Great Flood Of 2019



Rain, rain go away don't come back for a few days! That is what I am thinking since it has been a week of off and on heavy rain and it has brought flooding and tragedy to East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia.
It washed out my Clinch Coalition Retreat scheduled for Saturday and a trip to the Cabin along with it. However, these were small inconvenience next to what happened around the region.
We were lucky here at the farm, while there was flooding all around us, including "downtown" St. Clair. However, here at the house, it was all around us, but not close to the house or any buildings. The biggest flooded area in front of our place was old Cantrell Pond. It was the highest I had ever seen it as it almost topped the road to the barn. The old pond right out front has the most water I had seen in quite a while.




The most surprising was not even on our property. Behind the house on the other side of a grove of Cedar trees there use to be an old cow pond, but it dried up last year. Well, after the rains it was back, times, 10! The pond stretched a quarter of a mile and had a small waterfall coming from the trailer park next door.



While a lot of water here I know others had it far, far worse so my thoughts go out to them. After days of rain, we all caught a break as the rain stopped and some orange ball appeared in the sky today...strange.


                                                                       ***Update***
On Wednesday I went hiking to Rich Mountain Fire Tower, but as I started out I ran into water...hat was still across the road on Highway 113. I am not surprised as the ponds at the house have barely receded.


No comments:

Post a Comment