Friday, December 31, 2021

Finally! I Got My First Edition AT Trail Guides!


Even with the resurgence of COVID, it has been a good Yuletide Holiday, for me, it got even better with a find made on eBay. After close to two years I finally found a first edition of the Appalachian Trail Guide to Tennessee-North Carolina. It now joins the Georgia-North Carolina first edition that I picked up a few months back. 
Both of these books go by other names. The Tennessee one is the Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Tennesse and North Carolina: Cherokee, Pisgah, and Great Smokies while the other is in the Great Smokies, Nantahalas, and Georgia. See these two books use to be part of one guide, the Appalachian Trail in the Southern Appalachians, which I describe here when I obtained one. But the one became two in 1963 and that is why there are first editions. 



The above two use to be one

As I mentioned above I received the Georgia guide first, back in the summer. Except for a little work on the maps the black book was in good shape for being six decades old. However, the red book I received was in even better shape. Unlike the Georgia first edition, the Tennessee one was the first I had been able to find, so I was glad to finally get my hands on one. So, getting this was a good way to finish 2021 (there isn't a hike because I have a non-COVID bug). Anyway, Happy New Year!

Georgia Map

Nantahala Map

The guides share the same Great Smokies map

Pisgah Map

Cherokee Map



1 comment: