Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Round Knob Was Closed So I Went To Squibb Creek Falls

 

On the first Tuesday in February I planned to drive up to Round Knob for a hike out to my section of the Appalachian Trail (AT) that I am becoming caretaker of. It goes from Big Butt to the Round Knob Connector, a two-mile-old road from the picnic area I was headed to. But on the way up I saw a sign that said Road Closed, but the Forest Service website said it was open...I will let you guess which is right. 


So, about a mile or so where the road splits, there was a truck and road closed sign. I guy told me that there had been slides on the road and it was closed. So, I turned around and headed back the way I came. I took my Dad's Jeep because I wasn't sure about the road, which turned out to be a good choice. I hope they also fix the road when they open it back up. 



So, what to do? It was too late to drive up to Jones Meadow and it is almost four miles to Jerry's Cabin.  Or I could hike a steep 4.5 miles just up to the Coldsprings Mountain Meadow (on Horse Creek Road) out of the Horse Creek Recreation Area which still left a mile to Jerry's Cabin. I just didn't have time to do this, so what to do? 


Anyway, I decided on a hike to Squibb Creek Falls. I have gone on this 4.4 miles in the past, the last time in March of 2021, so I won't go over the hike. One thing the old viewing deck at the Horse Creek Trailhead had been removed. The last time I was here, December 2021, it has been roped but now...gone. Overall, it was a nice hike and I ran the drone above Horse Creek (and on the Round Knob Road), but not getting to the AT was disappointing, but there is next time.







SmugMug Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment