Monday, December 8, 2014

Wood Booger Top 5: Hikes Of The 2014 Fall Outdoor Series



The first Wood Booger Top 5 of winter looks back at this past autumn and the completed Fall Outdoor Series. I have documented it here, but this edition of the Top 5 will be my favorite hikes of the Fall Outdoor Series. It has been hard to pair them down, because there were a lot of great trips out at places like Mount Oglethorpe, Cowrock Mountain and Cane Creek Falls, but here goes:


Honorable Mention:  Sawnee Mountain. This mountain is in my backyard and because of that I hiked it seven times this past fall. I did my first hike of the fall here and did a gear test hike. Because I only live 15 minutes from it I also did a couple Sunday morning Pre-NFL hikes. My two favorites were the first cold weather hike there in early October and my annual Fall Foliage Hike, the second weekend in November. While not the most difficult trail it is a great place to stretch the legs and log some miles. I love going to Sawnee Mountain.


Number 5: Hike Georgia @ Anna Ruby Falls. I was on the fence about this one. I almost put my hike at Cowrock Mountain and Wolf Laurel Top in this spot, because I love that hike on that ridge so much. But, because of the sheer beauty of the fall day and the fact I like my Thursday Hike Georgia group I just placed this slightly ahead of Cowrock. The fall colors on this day were great and let’s not forget the double waterfall that is one of Georgia’s best it had all the ingredients for a great hike and it was. It was also a challenging trail which was a bonus.



Number 4: September Big Cedar Hike. This one happened in mid-September, so the trail still had more of a summer look than autumn. Anytime I can get out at Woody Gap and head north on the AT (Appalachian Trail) up Big Cedar Mountain makes for a great day. What made this hike even better was I went out with Deb. This is also one of her favorite spots, so I knew she is going to enjoy it and Deb has gotten more trail "seasoned" so I think she enjoys these trips on the trail more. On this day the views were great and I even had a run in with a rattlesnake, overall it was an excellent hike.


Number 3: Blood Mountain Loop. There is no spot in Georgia I love more than Blood Mountain. This was my third trip to the summit of my favorite Peach State Mountain, but the first time that I came up from Lake Winfield Scott. This is an almost nine-mile loop that takes one on the Jarrard Gap and Slaughter Creek Trails. I hiked up the Jarrard Gap Trail connected with the AT at the gap with said name and went north to the summit. When I came back I went via the Slaughter Creek Trail to the lake trailhead.  While the view wasn’t near as good as last October (I could see Atlanta on that day) the colors on top were beautiful. So, for a Blood Mountain hike to be three the other two have to be special.



Number 2: Rabun Bald. This was a hike I looked at as unfinished business, but I was still surprised at the end of it. I had been to Rabun Bald before, last October I hiked to the top, but it just wasn’t the best day. I was on my way back from Tennessee and I had already hiked to the top of Max Patch earlier in the day. When I got to Georgia clouds started to roll in and when I got to the CCC Tower at the top the view was absurd by clouds. So, when I went back on Veterans Day I didn’t know what type of hike to expect. Because it was my first outing of the day I wasn’t as tried and enjoyed the challenging hike up the mountain much more. However, the biggest surprise awaited me at the top. There are some great view in Georgia (like Blood Mountain and Brasstown Bald), but Rabun Bald might be the best 360 degree view in the state…bar none. It was just a great day, and a great hike.


Number 1: Max Patch. I guess I saved the best for last…literally, because this was the last hike of the Fall Outdoor Series and was on the second to last day in November. The hike was over the Thanksgiving weekend and has become a kind of annual event for Glen and I. Last year we went to the Rich Mountain Fire Tower. I first should say this wasn’t my first trip to Max Patch as I have already mentioned I went there in October of 2013. So, I already knew what kind of view to expect there, and in my opinion it is the second best vista in the southern Appalachian Mountains, only bested by the Roan Highlands. What this day had that made it extra special was snow. Like last year’s hike at Rich Mountain it had snowed over Thanksgiving, so that was one of the reasons we chose Max Patch. The other was Glen had heard me speak of the views here and wanted to experience it for himself (and scout a spot for star gazing). I first should say the drive up was worth the trip. We came up over the Tennessee side (last year I came up through North Carolina) and let say that the road was icy in spots. When we got to the summit it was a winter wonderland. The funny thing was that there were spots on the mountain with no snow and others with knee deep drifts. There are not many places on the AT I like better. We then finished the day in Hot Springs. I can’t wait to go back to Max Patch again.

No comments:

Post a Comment