Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Wood Booger Top 5: Special One Year Anniversary Favorite Blog Posts



It is hard to believe but today is the one year anniversary of this blog. Well, technically I started this page in March of 2013, but I never posted and at that time it was called the Spork. This original incarnation never took off (because I just wasn’t feeling it) and it lay dormant until Thanksgiving Week of last year. I had been told by a number of people that I should start a blog; well I hated to tell them I had one but I just never did anything with it. Anyway, it was during this week that I decided to give blogging another chance. The focus from that first blog in March to the one in December wasn’t much different, but I decided to use more photos. I had been posting photos on Facebook (and still do) but I wanted them on my own space. The first thing I knew I needed was a name change and since my trail name is the Wood Booger and hiking would be a feature of this blog I decided to use it in the title of this page. If you don’t remember the first blog was about the 2013 Fall Hiking Series and since then I have posted 130 entries over the past year. So, in honor of my one-year anniversary I am doing a special Wood Booger Top 5 on my favorite blogs of the past 12 months. I have written plenty more than five blogs I love and if I wrote this in a year this list could look different, but these are right now, of writing, my favorites.  If anyone has a favorite blog, post your list here on the blog or on my Facebook, Google+, Tumblr or Twitter pages where I link it with this entry.

Before I get started here is the Top 5 Blogs based on page views:
2.)    AT Day Hikes: Roan Highlands – February 20, 2014
3.)    Day Hikes: Sawnee Mountain – January 12, 2014
4.)    AT Day Hikes: Rich Mountain Fire Tower – January 15, 2014

Now the Wood Booger Top 5:

Honorable Mention:  Fall Hiking SeriesDecember 10, 2013. Like I said above this is the blog that started it all. When I did it I knew the direction the blog would take but maybe not how it would look in practice. That first blog is still alive because ever four months I do one of these series hikes post for each of the seasons. Last week this came full circle with one on the Fall Outdoor Series. I guess in some ways there would be no blog without this post.





Honorable Mention 2: A Change In Seasons: The Differences Between Summer & Winter On The AT - March 27, 2014. This could have been in the Top 5 and is one of my favorite blogs. It was my first compare and contrast blog I did and I think it is still the best. Photo Blogs are a big part of this page and this is the one that is still closest to my heart. The area at Hog Pen Gap is one of my favorites and the contrast on the days featured was stark. I liked this idea at the time and it is still a favorite of mine.





Number 5: Four Days Is A Short Stay In CharlestonNovember 19, 2014. This blog was one of my favorites because I enjoyed these four days so much. Besides getting to hang out with my Dad, Terry and Deb I got to hike, see some of Charleston, get a boating license and get to do something I haven’t done in years…fish. It was a fun blog to write and it just makes it into the Top 5.






Number 4: AT Day Hikes: Roan HighlandsFebruary 20, 2014. This wasn’t the first AT Day Hike Blog that would by the Rich Mountain Fire Tower entry. I also have written others I love, like the Blood Mountain AT Day Hikes blog. However, my favorite is the one on maybe the most picturesque spot in the southern Appalachian Mountains…the Roan Highlands. The beauty of this area is self-explanatory, but writing this blog gave me a chance to experience my day on the balds again. This was not a hard one to write because it was a great day and hike. Oh also as I mentioned above it is popular with readers of this blog because it is the second most viewed.



Number 3: When It Comes To Mountains It is Better To Be The TallestDecember 17, 2013. I have to say that this was the first idea for the blog I had when I decided to finally get this page up and running. When I went back to Brasstown Bald in October of 2013 I found the contrast between it and Rabun Bald, which I had visited just the week before, to be very different. So, when I started to think about getting this blog going this was the first subject that I wanted to do. Because that the Fall Hiking Series had just ended, and I thought it would make a better test to see how the blog would look I decided this post would go second. I think it came together well, and recently I even updated it. I think that someone read it because of the improvements that I mention in my update of this entry. Oh, and other must have liked it because it is my most viewed blog.


Number 2: Bear Facts About Bear ParksApril 29, 2014. I don’t write a lot of opinion blogs, but sometimes I can’t help myself. When I first heard about the closing of the Black Forest Bear Park, in Helen, GA, early this year I was thrilled, but it wasn’t until I passed by the closed park in April that the idea for this blog came to mind. These places had bothered my since my younger days when I visited Santa Land, in Cherokee, NC, in the 1980’s. So, this was not a hard blog to write and has always been a favorite of mine (take another look because I just updated it).




Number 1: The Perils Of Winter Hiking or How Snow Miser Kicked My Ass!March 2, 2014. This was a blog I knew I was going to write while I slogged up Levelland Mountain on that COLD day in late February! It is one of my most memorable hikes (because of the zero wind chill) and I tell this story far more often than any trip out…ever. So, it should not be a surprise that one of my favorite stories to tell would be my favorite blog, because that is what this page is about, the experiences I have had. Like most of these Top 5 blogs it wasn’t hard to write. While it may not be the most viewed it is my number one blog of the first year of the Tales From The Wood Booger and still one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment