Friday, December 11, 2015

Hiking, Grilling & Moving Bridge Beams...Just Another Weekend In Southwest Virginia


I spent this past weekend at the Cabin near Fort Blackmore in Southwest Virginia. While most of this blog will be pictures I have decided to add a few words. While up there I grilled, built me a fire and did some bushwhack hiking. The morning I went out hiking it was in the low 20's. I hiked across some spots I had already been (Russell & Robert Knobs), but I followed the a stream bed to a meadow below what we call the Saddle. I then hiked up the Saddle (it was steep at least 70% grade and a leaf covered stream bed for a trail) to what I call Turkey Gap and then hiked up the tallest knob near the Cabin. I decided to call it Bear Knob, because they are around. After returning from the hike Dad and I then went down to the old house to collect some bridge beams. These were left over from where the State of Virginia replaced the bridge over the branch (which flows into Stoney Creek). We got eight and let me just say they were heavy. On our final day we put in gutters on the back of the Cabin, which was a learning experience. Oh, and I even had time to put up a Yule (or Christmas) Tree. Anyway, it was a good weekend all-in-all and below are the photos.














































No comments:

Post a Comment