Tuesday, April 17, 2018

From The Bluffs Of Camp Creek Bald & Baxter Cliff Are Just More Wonders In The Bald Mountains


There are not many places I hike regularly that I know better than the area around Jones Meadow in the shadow of Camp Creek Bald. So, finding places new places on one of my favorite hiking areas was a bonus and that happened on my last visit to this wonderful area. One place was a hidden gem in plain sight and the other was a cliff that I searched for two years ago.



Before getting two the hike I must mention the road up to Jones Meadow. I have to admit that I was a little worried about the road after a winter of rain, snow and freezing up. However, to my pleasant surprise, the US Forest Service did some nice work on the gravel part of the trip up. The grated it, put down gravel and fill in some of the holes. It cut 10 minutes on the trip up (and down).






First was a landform in plain sight and these were on Camp Creek Bald. What is funny is I have passed these and never knew they were there. I first heard about these bluffs back in November on Go.Smokies.com. I am calling these the Bluffs of Camp Creek Bald as they are just about 100 yards from the old fire tower that sits on the summit. The best way to describe how to get to them is starting at the upper parking area, you go back behind the fence of the large double level communication tower (think it says EMBARQ  on the fence). From here there is a trail up through rhododendron and before you know it you are gazing at a wonderful vista. This sweeping view makes up for the fact that the fire tower is locked, but I can't believe it was here the whole time.












After staying here a while I head up to the tower and then to the Appalachian Trail (AT). I did find something else new, a privy to the left as the old road (which is now a trail) turns toward the tower. From here I headed to Bearwallow Gap, before getting there I took a detour to  White Rock Cliffs. One thing I noticed on the way was someone has put up signs pointing the way to Camp Creek Bald and the three side trails to Jones Meadow.














At Bearwallow Gap I left the AT for the Jerry MillerTrail and the half-mile trek down to Huckleberry Gap. It is here that there is a side trail to Baxter Cliff where. two years ago I didn't find it. However, on this day I had two advantages. First, I was determined to find it and second, someone had cut a better trail. There was even a sign, which had been broke but propped up against the tree it was in. I made it part of the way two years ago, but I saw exactly where I turned around, but not today. I just want to thank those who cut this to Baxter Cliff because the vista here is wonderful with great views of Camp Creek Bald and White Rock Cliffs...definitely worth the trouble.













After leaving Baxter Cliff I headed back to the At and hit Big Firescald Knob, Blackstack Cliffs, Vahalla Vista and hiked through Jones Meadow. It was a really good day finding new wonders at Camp Creek Bald.











No comments:

Post a Comment