Saturday, April 14, 2018

Snow, Snow, Snow...That Was What I Was Chasing In The High Country Of The Smokies



This past weekend I chased snow, probably the last time, at the Roans, but I did the same thing a few weeks back in the Smokies High Country.
 I knew it had snowed in the mountains and I wanted the chance to chase the snow, maybe for the last time until next winter (but it wouldn't be). My choices were the Roans or the High Country of the Smokies because Cavers Gap and Newfound Gap have major roads crossing them plus they're both over 5,000 feet. Back in January, I chased the snow then to the Roans and while not disappointed I didn't find the snow I was looking for.



So, I checked the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) Road Condition Twitter page and the High on LeConte and knew there was plenty of snow there. Roan Mountain I wasn't as sure about, so I decided on Newfound Gap...it wasn't a decision I wouldn't regret. When I got to Newfound Gap the amount of snow there was no more than we a hiked out of here in 2016. So I knew that I needed my YakTrax's, but since it was windy and cold I decided to go with my leather L.L.Bean boots versus my regular Salomon ones...this will be another good decision.









After some starts and stops I headed up the trail and it wasn't long before I put on the YakTraks. It was clearly evident that on the Appalachian Trail (AT) there was more snow than two years ago. Another difference this time was I wasn't alone as I shared the trail with plenty of AT Thru-Hikers. The trail may have been even more beautiful than two years ago because there was more snow and it was still hanging in the trees, it was just stunning.













Two years ago, when I did this hike, I went to Charles Bunion and didn't go to the Jump Off, but this time I was going there and Charles Bunion was "optional." After leaving a group of AT Thru-Hikers at the junction with the Boulevard Trail (one of them was waterproofing their feet with plastic bags), which I now headed up and it was immediately evident that this trail wasn't near as well trodden as the AT. It is just a short hike up the trail before coming to the sign pointing the way to the side path to the Jump Off. Just as I was about to head up a hiker came off the side path saying he had "cut the trail" to the Jump Off. Cutting the trail means you are the first on a trail that has been covered in snow. I cut one to Margerette Falls back in early February, and I would soon learn that I would get a chance today as this hiker actually didn't make it to the Jump Off, he just went halfway, just over the top of Mount Kephart (this is where I was glad I had my big leather boots).










So I got to cut the last third-of-a-mile through a foot of snow to the Jump Off and it was wonderful because I got it all to myself. Besides being the first person here in two days the vista was breathtaking! Certain times of the year the Bunion has a better view, but not in winter or with snow. The hike back was mostly in my own boot prints, until I meet a couple right near the start of the Jump Off Trail. The thing I noticed once I got back to the AT was how much more packed down it was.















Because I took a lot of time enjoying the Jump Off I decided not to hike the 1.3 miles to Charlies Bunion, but I did go out to Icewaters Spring Shelter for lunch. Here I met a dedicated Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) Ridge Runner named Chole. I am going to talk more about the job of an ATC Ridge Runners soon, but they are basically guardians of sections of the AT. One of their duties is trail and shelter maintenance, which includes hauling out the trash. Chole had a little more trash than she could carry so I told her I can carry some out which I did.






The hike back was more winter beauty, but about half-mile from Newfound Gap the trail had started to melt, which made it rather sloppy. However, that wasn't all for the day.














As I came down the Newfound Gap road traffic started to back up just before Sugarlands Visitors Center. My first thought was a bear, but because I was so far back I didn't think I would see him. But to my surprise there he was meandering up a gated road. It was my first bear sighting in 17 months and the perfect end to a wonderful day, chasing snow.




No comments:

Post a Comment