Thursday, January 23, 2020

Cold MLK Day For Unfinished Business At Laurel Run Park


How different a week makes. Last Monday, the temperature was perfect but on Martin Luther King Day, it was cloudy, snow flying and bitter cold...just a great day on the trail at Laurel Run Park.


Besides just needing to get out, this was a case of some unfinished business going back to last Summer and last Monday. The KEYS to today, dress warmly, Hot Hands and know where my keys are at. Last week I and my hiking group attempted a shuttle hike from Bays Mountain to Laurel Run Park. Coming around the lake,  two cabins, five trails on the way. Some technical difficulties were key to us having to turn around and head back. This wasn't the first time I had problems going to Laurel Run as it happened back in June.
















Today I was hiking from Laurel Run Park. I have to mention a few things I noticed on my return to the park. First, the Laurel Run Park sign is missing the part with its name. The second they moved the trailhead sign back to the other side of the first footbridge. Third, the old Cabin from the movie The River has been bordered up. Anyway, for the hike, I went up the main trail. Usually, I go up the Overlook Trail, but I didn't want to have to worry time, so I decided to wait until the end because I had to be out of the park by 4:00 pm.










On the way I could tell water flow would be good as Laurel Run Creek was roaring. However, this lead to a problem at the large creek crossing as the stepping rocks was underwater. So, I had to scramble across a frozen log, because with temperatures in the low 20s I didn't want to get any part of me wet. Around the first mile is the beautiful cascade that gives the park its name, Laurel Run Falls. Right up the trail from it is Little Laurel Run Falls.






After enjoying the water show I kicked it up a notch as I headed past the three Simpson Cabins. I finally reached the Kiner Hollow Trail Junction. I went right, which took me past the Wallen Family Cabin. Past this, it started a really steep climb up Pretty Ridge for four-tenths-of-a-mile. When you reach the top, you are at the junction for the Pretty Ridge Trail.












As you start out a couple hundred yards up the trail there is a split with the white blazes headed right. Don't follow it as it heads to Back Hollow, but go straight. It is a mile of pleasant ridgeline hiking before you come to the junction of four paths, Pretty Ridge, Indian Pipes, Cross Ridge and Kiner Hollow Trails. This is where we had lunch the previous Monday and I did so on this day.




It was then back on the Kiner Hollow Trail and allowing me to click another route off the Bays Mountain system (& another Simpson Cabin). After passing the junction and three Simpson Cabins I came to the side trail to the top of Kiner Falls. When I was on my way up I had seen where it looked like a people had been down to the base along a steep trail. I know the way from down below, but I had never gone down from above, so I said: "why not." It turns out it wasn't too sketchy, but I would rather go down than up.









Once at the base it was impressive as always. I went back on the lower trail, past three more waterfalls. At one spot there was a marker...could they are thinking of making this an official trail?
On the way back, because I had time, I decided to head up the Overlook Trail. This was my first time going in this direction. I don't know if it was any easier, but the views where outstanding. I finished the day with a trip to Bays Mountain Falls ( separate blog coming) making seven on the day.















No comments:

Post a Comment