Saturday, March 25, 2023

First Post COVID Trail Work Day With Carolina Mountain Club


Since having COVID, I have slowly been getting back to normal. Whether it was my first hike or getting my taste back. One more thing I had to get back on the horse for was doing trail work. So, on Thursday, I headed back out with the Carolina Mountain Club and to where I had worked before the Appalachian Trail (AT) reroute near Log Cabin Road near Allen Gap.

Cemetery near our work site...

A bridge under construction from Dec. (L), Jan, (R) & Cover Photo after its completion.

A Wood Booger leans Grip Hoist (Dec.), heading out (Jan.) & Thursday...

This is the third time I have been out with my fellow club members and every time has been working on this trail relocation. For most of these times, I have done the same job...stump pulling, and that is what I was doing today. It isn't easy, and one particular stump was a pain to remove. 
I tried to pace myself, but I was operating the grip hoist, I was digging out around the stumps and chopped roots with a Pulaski. I will admit that after lunch, I was pretty gassed and took out early. While a hard day, it was good to be back out. Also, Pete was happy just to be on the AT...( Photos of me by Kit Ogburn).

The group gets finally instructions.

Some of our hard work.

Sawing Trees.

(Above) Removing stumps! (Below) part of the new reroute (L) & old AT (R).


No comments:

Post a Comment