Thursday, March 14, 2019

He's Still Alive! The Legend Of Chuck Continues...& Mama June


I have spent most of the last week at the Cabin in Southwest Virginia. I could talk about hikes, including up to Big & Little Knob or problems solved or back on the road crew again. But no, I know everyone wants to hear more exploits of my favorite bird, the Purple Finch, Chuck. However, he wasn't alone because his girlfriend showed up and I named her Mama June, but more about her later.







Like I said previously, I worried that Chuck might not have survived after eating himself into a stupor. When I got at the Cabin on Friday I loaded up the feeder, and while there were plenty of birds, there was no Chuck. However, when I started out on the porch Saturday morning, there he was...eyes closed and doing what he does best, eating. Although he was chowing down he seemed to have learned his lesson and not eat to the point where he couldn't get airborne.  Oh, one other thing he can open his eyes, but not often.




That brings us to Mama June. I had seen female Purple Finches up there before, but this one was beefier, camped out on the feeder and had her eyes closed most of the time. She has to be with Chuck as they look like a perfect match. So, I just decided to caller her Mama June. She was there on the final day, and so was Chuck as he came back one more time. Here is hoping I get to see my pal Chuck in the future...never change Chuck, never change...




1 comment: