Monday, March 4, 2019

Wood Booger Top 5: Favorite Coffee Places


Coffee...something that I came to love late in life, just about eight years ago. I had never cared much for it. That is until I discovered in Italy that I had been drinking it all wrong. After having some Italian espresso (in Italy) it was clear I liked my coffee strong and black. In recent time it has become my new vice. I will say in advance that the Top 3 are really close and on a given day any of the three could take the top spot. Anyway, I have favorite places to get coffee and here are my Top 5...

Honorable Mention #1: Pilot & Flying J Gas Stations - You, may ask Pilot? Yes, this is the best gas station coffee. The standard coffee is good, but what puts them ahead of the rest are these machines that freshly ground coffee to make your cup. It is why I have a Pilot Card.

Honorable Mention #2: Dunkin Donuts - When it comes to fast food coffee you can't beat Dunkin. While who has the better donut, between Dunkin and Krispy Kreme is up for debate there is none about the coffee...that goes to Dunkin. If you don't have a Dunkin, McDonald's is a good second.



Number 5: Open Doors Coffeehouse, Johnson City, TN - Open Door makes the list because another place I like in Johnson City closed. I have to admit the first time I went here I was unimpressed. But the second time I got a "Red Eye" one of the names for a coffee with a shot of espresso, my favorite. Have to say it was much better this time. I think I might try the nitro brewed coffee the next time I am in JC.

Number 4: Double D's Coffee & Desserts; Asheville, NC - This place. also known as the Coffee Bus, is in downtown Asheville and is housed in an English Double Decker Bus...hence both names. So, it gets points as a great setting, but the coffee here is pretty good too...good enough for fourth.

Number 1c: Coffee at the Kyle; Rogersville, TN - Now it is getting tough because there are days when Coffee on Kyle could be number one. When Miss B's closed with it was Rogersville best place to get coffee. But that all changed when I discovered a new coffee place had opened in the old Kyle House. Not only did the coffee here meet Miss B's standards but exceed them. The usually I get here is a "Red Eye," but they also have one of the areas best espressos too. Let me also mention the owner is nice and will talk coffee. The rest of the staff is great too. It is just a great place to relax and get an excellent cup of coffee.

Number 1b: Creamy Cup; Tusculum, TN - Here is another place I love...the Creamy Cup in Tusculum. It is located in a small drive-in location (but there is a walk-up window) across from the University. My "usually" here is called "a Shot in the Dark" but it is the same as a "Red Eye." The best thing about Creamy Cup is the rotating "feature roast" which is always a dark roast...it is always very good. I go here so often they know what I am going to order, they have a great crew. Like I said above there are days when it can't be beaten.

Number 1a: Laurel River Store; Hot Springs, NC - This gem in the North Carolina mountains outside of Hot Springs drew me in on one of my trips hiking in that direction. Like Coffee on Kyle, the Laurel River Store has an excellent espresso, which means a great "Shot in the Dark" ( that is what they call it here). Their regular coffee is fine too and, Sue, who runs it the days of have been there has been friendly and helpful. There is also a nice selection of local bakery good. I like this place so much I once detoured across "the Rattler" to go here. It is just a wonderful place for coffee.


1 comment:

  1. TN - Now it is getting tough because there are days when Coffee on Kyle could be number one. When Miss B's closed with it was Rogersville best place to get coffee. But that all changed when I discovered a new coffee place had opened in the old Kyle House.for sale by owner Calgary

    ReplyDelete