Sunday, March 3, 2019

I Was Working On The Road...Or The Legend Of Chuck


Spring (Meteorological) starting didn't change what has become the norm at the Cabin in Southwest Virginia...rain. 
Still, in between the days of rain Bax and I got in some hiking and we even scouted a trail. Then we were on the road crew with my Dad filling in rough patches and cutting some drainage for the road because of, you guessed, the rain.












However, the real story of the weekend was a Purple Finch who graced our presence. He arrived on the middle feeder mid-afternoon on Friday, in the rain. That didn't deter him or other birds trying to move him. That is why I called him Chuck...short for Charles Barkley he was hard to move...the Round Mound of the Feeder. A set of two other Purple Finches showed up, a male and female, I named Napoleon and Josephine. They were normal size, unlike Chuck. Over two hours later, after the other birds were gone, he was still there looking like he was asleep moving only to eat. 






Finally, he decided to fly off, but he had eaten so much he only went a few feet. He sat in the yard and I got concerned so I went out to check on him. I got so close I touched him. When it seemed like I would need to put him in a box for the night he flew up into the cedar tree in front of the Cabin. What happened to him after that... I don't know? I didn't see him the rest of the weekend, but the legend of Chuck will live on...



No comments:

Post a Comment