Thursday, May 16, 2019

The Annual May Wildflower Hike On Buffalo Mountain


Today was the continuing a May tradition, my annual Wildflower Hike on Buffalo Mountain.
There aren't many places with better Mountain Laurel (my personal favorite) than the park above Johnson City... specifically the area around Huckleberry Knob. I first went up to the view at this spot, which provides a vista of Johnson City. I noticed two things...one the top of the bench here was gone and second was the vista had been cleared. Besides improving the view it also opened access to some of the best Mountain Laurel bushes I have seen. One was just a ball of white blooms.






Another thing here I ran into some nice day hikers. Two locals, one was a member of the Eastman Hiking and Canoeing Club and a cool woman from Gate City who I would Cross paths with a couple of times. I then went through the Mountain Laurel gauntlet...it was stunning today. Another reason I love here is that it eventually comes to the Lady Slipper Trail and these pink beauties are the other reason I came today.



Right as a turned on the trail I spotted a group of seven Pink Lady Slippers that was a great haul right off the bat. On the day I would see more off the Lady Slipper Trail in spots I had never seen them before...nice! Besides Mountain Laurel and Pink Lady Slippers, I saw Flame Azalea and many others (they will be in the Second Half of May Wildflower Blog). Besides flowers, there were views, oh and one more thing. 







When I arrived I saw some city workers putting up a small structure. I didn't know exactly what it was...so, I went and asked. Turns out it is going to be a guard shack. They're not going to charge, but you will have to show ID going in...it is about time something was done (see my blog what the mountain needs). 




Overall it was an excellent hike and even better wildflowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment