Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Flag Rock, High Knob, the TCC Naturalist Rally & Wood Boogers Too...That Was Just The First Half


As part of five days in Southwest Virginia, I started the first part on High Knob. Why was I there? It was the last weekend in September and that means it was time for the Clinch Coalition (TCC) annual Naturalist Rally. 


This was the 13th edition of the event, but it was my fourth. While the Naturalist Rally was Saturday, my weekend started on Friday as I had to go to Norton and pick up tables and haul them up High Knob and to the Recreation Area. If you have never been up High Knob the road up, while paved, it is five steep miles. This plus a loaded down truck meant the heat went up and right after the turn-off to Flag Rock Recreation Area, which is halfway up, I had to pull Big Red over to let off some steam. After about half-hour, I finally started back up and got the tables to the top.







After unloading the tables and setting up stuff I went up and put my tent up near the Caretaker Cabin before heading down to see Flag Rock and one of my relatives. After I went up to the High Knob Tower because I wasn't going for sunset. Instead, I have invited out for dinner...at the Woodbooger Grill. 




















I went with Harry and Martie, who are Co-Presidents of the TCC and host at the High Knob Recreation Area. At the restaurant, we met some old friends of theirs, Chris and Nancy. Chris was a presenter at the Rally on backyard birding. Once back we socialized and then off to my tent.




I got up early the next morning and contemplated going to the High Knob Tower for sunrise, which you know I did. It was a beautiful sunrise as the Sun looked like a red ball coming up through the clouds. It was a nice start to the morning. What wasn't, a Bald-Faced Hornet decided to sting me on the hand as I walked back down the paved path from the tower...it hurt!







When I got back it was time to go to work setting up for the Rally. Again like last year one of my jobs, once the rally started, was at the registration table, but I did help get the food ready (no grill or hot dogs this year) and helped put up signs. 













I did get some free time, I walk around the exhibits, went to the mushroom talk and one on backyard birding. Oh, I also won a cool book in the Silent Auction. After the rally ended it was time to break down and take the tables back to Norton. Overall it was an excellent Naturalist Rally and it was on to the Cabin for part two...









No comments:

Post a Comment