Wednesday, August 19, 2020

In A Flash Trap Origami Is A Thing Of The Past


After camping and mowing, I finally got time to get out and put up my new tent...the REI Flash Air 1. It is a one-person lightweight tent for backpacking. You might ask what happened to the trap I tested a month or so back? Well like I said the test went well and I had planned to use it. In the meantime, I had started to think about a third tent to take some of the load off of my trusty Kelty Salida 2. This was furthered moved along after I saw reviews for the Coleman Sundome which got me to thinking about it. Since I was thinking of car-camping I was thinking of a three or four-person since I would mostly be at campgrounds. I even went as far as looking them up and putting one in the cart.


Then I thought why not instead get one for backpacking that would lighten my load and my Salada 2's. So, what about my Kelty Upslope Trap? Well, I realized on my trip to the Beauty Spot that I just liked that inclosed feeling you get from a tent. Also, since I didn't pay a lot for the trap it wasn't a big loss. Plus, if I need it the trap can fill in for a tent or use it as a rain cover.


So, I checked on REI and after some searching, I decided on the Flash Air 1. If you haven't guessed that the one means it is a single-person tent. I am at the point that I just don't need the space. I mean I even thought about a Bivy, so a one-person tent is spacious. So I ordered it and when it came I couldn't believe how light it was. It weighs about the same as the Kelty Upslope Trap and about the same size. It comes in about three pounds lighter than the Salida 2.


So, this week I finally got around for a practice pitch. Unlike my two-person tent, it is not a free-standing tent. You have to stake out the Flash Air, but surprisingly it isn't that hard to set up. It is a lot easier than the Upslope Tarp and if you have been backpacking the less time setting up the better. Another plus is it's a single wall tent (where the tent and rainfly are one) so it would be a lot easier to put up in the rain. It comes with a set-up pole, but one of the reasons I got this particular model is I can use my trekking pole instead.


Anyway, with a successful pitch, the next thing will be to take it out for an outing. That will happen soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment