Thursday, July 29, 2021

Oh, And The Earth Isn't Flat Either!

It is High Summer...if you don't believe me just go outside. While the thermometers regularly hover at or above the 90-degree mark most days (the low 80s is considered a cooling trend by weatherpersons). No, this isn't a rant about Climate Change and whether it is happening. I am not going to argue whether the Earth is flat (it isn't), was the Moon Landing is real (it is), is the world is 6,000 years old (it isn't it is far older) and Climate Change is happening (YES). 

Sam's Gap & I-26: (Top) 11-2017 & (Bottom) 07-2021

It's easy to see the difference of haze & no-haze of Big Bald

Unaka Mountain wasn't even visible on my July trip

With that out of the way I just want to say that while haze is bad because of pollution it has been exceptionally bad because of the wildfires burning in the Western United States. Yes, I said the western part of our country which has had even worse heat, remember it was 115 degrees in Portland, and it has been incredibly dry. Lake Mead and other reservoirs are at record low levels and the Great Salt Lake is causing Salt Lake City to have the worst air quality in the country. When I went up to White House Cliffs it was obvious the air quality was bad and then when I got to the vista it was about five miles. It is just a visible reminder that what we do as humans has consequences...


No comments:

Post a Comment