Monday, July 19, 2021

High Summer Means A Return To Bailey Falls


On Friday morning I wanted to hike but what to do on a hot summer day? I decided it was time to go on a waterfall hike. Since it is High Summer I decided to double my pleasure and return to Bailey Falls.


This is not one waterfall, but two. I had made two prior trips to Lower Bailey Falls and when I discovered the upper cascade I made my first trip to it last August. Because of the rock hopping and generally getting wet I save this hike for the warmer months, which July is. These aren't the only waterfalls as most of this hike is the Margarette Falls hike. That means this trip has many cascades, including Mid-Point Falls, the Fan, and the Shute. They all culminate at the base of one of Northeast Tennessee's best the 60-foot Margarette Falls.



So, the first part I have done many times, but there have been a few changes since my last trip back in February. First, the FS Road-5099 sign was gone. Since it was in good shape I would guess it was stolen, which is just not Cricket. Another change was an addition of a footbridge near the Shute. It was put in where the large spring crosses the trail. Also where it used to be tricky up-downhill steps were added. It definitely is an improvement. One thing that never changes is the beauty of Margarette Falls. 

It's gone...







Mid-Point Falls


The Fan


The Shute

New Footbridge & Steps

Margarette Falls



Once there it is up the unofficial manway to the top of Margarette Falls then across West Fork of Dry Creek before heading up it. There is a lot of rock-hopping on the way to the base of Lower Bailey Falls. 

The Wall & the creek...

...which I am heading up...

...to Lower...

...Bailey Falls


There was something new here also. Someone had tied up a rope to climb up to the manway that leads to the Upper Falls. It is a few feet from where I originally went up. Once I reached the area of the Upper Falls I didn't have to wade for a closer look like I did in 2020. The water level was a little lower in the "Bailey Tub." Both cascades are worth the effort that it takes to get there.

The new location of the rope to...

...Upper Bailey Falls


Bailey Tub

An above view of Lower Bailey Falls

On the way back, I took in the view of Margarette Falls from above. Once down I enjoyed some alone time with the cascade. Which would not last because on my way back I passed several people. The empty parking area that greater me now had BLANK vehicles. But these waterfalls are always worth the effort.



The part of Margarette Falls is only visible from the top





Behind the sign to the left was an abandoned stroller





No comments:

Post a Comment