Wednesday, July 7, 2021

While I Went Back To Rocky Fork...The Bear Was Still There


It has taken a little longer than I thought (about a week)to get this blog up. First, my Roan Highlands Camping Blog had monopolized my time and then a holiday (4th or July) got in the way and then Max Patch was closed to camping. Anyway, as Pete reported I helped lead a hike with the Care NET Sierra Club Conservation Committee on an outing at Rocky Fork State Park.



This outing was unofficial if the Sierra Club is reading this. Anyway, with that out of the way, the hike was a route I have done a few times in the past. Up the Rocky Fork Trail then up the green blazed Flint Creek. I got to go across the new bridge over Flint Creek, which slightly reroutes the trail.
While the new bridge is nice it was a shame to see the old Rocky Fork one go. 






Then it was to the Flint Creek Battlefield site (or Slaughter of Native Americans as I go with) when John Seiver attacked a Cherokee winter encampment know as the Battle of Flint Creek (or the Slaughter on Flint Creek). I will say the state finally put up a sign that lets one know where the site is and there are plans to excavate. 



Our turnaround point was the Flink Creek Campsite. Two people in our party (Wendy & Bobbi) had stayed here. Well, it is a nice campsite with a tent platform, fire ring, Bear Box and privy. I will have to stay here soon...



Anyway, once back I had planned to see to some unfinished business on the White House Cliffs Trail. If you read this blog you might have seen that a hike up here a couple of weeks back was interrupted and brought to an end by a bear. It was a sow and two cubs who huffed me. Well, it turns out that she hadn't gone anywhere because the trail was closed. I heard from one of the park rangers that the bear had taken up residence there and that she had bluff charged. So, much to Pete's chagrin round two again went to the bear. Oh well, it meant I dot stop at Whistle Stop Deli...again!








No comments:

Post a Comment