Monday, February 7, 2022

A Waterfall & Truck...Just Two Discoveries Highlight Trip To SWVA

This weekend I took Dad over for three days at the Cabin near Fort Blackmore. On the drive over I discovered an incredible waterfall that I had never noticed. However, with all the rain it was roaring...I am calling it Copper Creek Falls. I didn't really do much when I got over there on Friday as it was cold and misty, just miserable. 


However, Saturday the skies cleared but with it, the temperatures had dropped. When I started out in the morning it was 20 degrees with a breeze, so it was cold. But this wasn't what I was most concerned about.No it was my feet, but specifically the two blisters, one on each foot that I picked up on my hike Tuesday at the Beauty Spot. I planned to do the Superloop where I go around past the other barn and back around the roads, about four miles in total. So, when I passed the barn and headed up my feet did have a little discomfort so I didn't think I would go as planned, but at some point, it seemed I hit a spot before the first gate and I decided to head on the Superloop. 





One of the main highlights of this was a side trip up an old road near the collapsed cabin on Franklin's Road. When I got up there I discovered an old Ford truck with an arm on the back, probably for moving logs. I also took a detour up to the saddle above the Brickey Cabin near Travis's Cabin. 

















The next morning I again decided to go out with another cold start with the same temperature as Saturday (but not as cold because the winds were calm). This time I went up Wood Booger Ridge and came back through the D and then Sinkhole Campsite. It was a good brisk hike and a great end to the trip over to Southwest Virginia.







More Photos: SmugMug, Google Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment