Monday, February 21, 2022

It's February & It is Again Time To Tap Maple Trees


It's February and besides being the last month of winter it also means tree tapping time and Sugar Maples to be exact. This is my sixth season tapping trees.
This year I was a little behind for a number of reasons. The first one of the big maples here at St. Clair is out of action as I am letting it heal after the trauma of having some big limbs removed. Two there has been work going on at the house and three I had to get some new, permanent tubing. 


So, I had one big maple to tap and after getting ready and drilling the hole it came up dry...not a good start. The following day I checked some of the younger trees and found one that was 10 inches in diameter making it ready to tap. So far this tree has outproduced the much larger Sugar Maple. Well, when it is time to cook I will give a rundown of that.



No comments:

Post a Comment