Sunday, May 29, 2022

It's The 6th Annual Wildflower Hike At & Above Buffalo Mountain

 

It is May and it means one thing...it is time for the annual wildflower hike at Buffalo Mountain Park on Wednesday. This was my sixth time going to this mountain I have enjoyed since the late 80s. The main reason is this is one of the best spots for Mountain Laurel. I saw plenty of it and Flame Azalea, but no Pink Lady Slippers.

I was also here for another reason...to fly the drone. I wasn't sure I would get to it as Buffalo Mountain was obscured by clouds. But when I got to my first take-off spot of Huckleberry Knob it was somewhat clear looking toward Johnson City.


However, by the time I got to Tip Top, it had learned...well, almost. Looking towards Pinnacle Mountain It was clear (except for the higher peaks like Unaka Mountain and Big Bald). However, the communication towers of Buffalo Mountain had a bank of clouds rollover.



The last place I flew the drone was at White Rocks. By this time it was clear except for the higher peaks. But it still made for some incredible panoramas looking back towards Tip Top.


When I returned on the Noggin Trail where it bottoms out the rain had made for a wet trip back to the trailhead, the last thing of note. It didn't help I tried to backtrack to at waterfall, but the trail was unpassable. Anyway, it was another excellent May trip to the Buff!


More Photos: SmugMug

No comments:

Post a Comment