Saturday, November 15, 2014

I Got One Reason To Go To Helen...Anna Ruby Falls



Since I seemed to be going backwards with my recent longer blogs I guess we will just jump in and travel back a few weeks and have a look at my visit to Anna Ruby Falls. Actually, I am going to look back over a year-and-half ago and include my first visit to this double waterfall.
This is a waterfall that I would have no problem calling my second favorite in Georgia. The first visit, back in April of 2013,  I got there by the way most people do, driving to the falls parking and hiking up the paved half-mile trail. This visit was part of a day where Deb and two of my close friends Clint and Cindy went on a North Georgia tour with stops at Mountain Crossing at Neel Gap, Brasstown Bald, Tesnatee and Hog Pen Gaps, and Helen, GA. I wanted to see the falls, but everyone else was on the fence. As we got done in Helen earlier than we thought and a little prodding by me we decided to head on up. First I must point out that there is a $3 charge per-person (not the whole car like other US Forest Service spots).


We started day at Neel Gap...

...then Brasstown Bald...

Tesnatee & Hog Pen Gaps...

...& Helen, GA.


We got there a little late, but before the five o’clock cutoff time when they don’t let any more cars in. The hike up is not too hard, I mean people of all sorts and conditions make it too these wonderful falls. There is plenty of beauty on this path. Small waterfalls are up and down Smith Creek. Also, one thing to remember about waterfalls is in spring these cascades tend to have more water flow.

Sign points the way.

Start of the Anna Ruby Falls paved trail.

Some of the cascading waters...

...on Smith Creek.

The double waterfall in the spring.


The 50-foot drop from York Creek.

The 153-foot Curtis Creek half.




April, 2013




From the upper viewing deck.

April, 2013: Smith Creek.

A huge boulder & the trail back.

Cascade on Smith Creek.

Old moonshine still.


While this way isn’t difficult the path I took the day before Halloween was a little more so. This was a Hike Georgia outing that started in Unicoi State Park and used the Smith Creek Trail. We did this as a shuttle-hike so we only had to pay for two people, instead of the whole group.

Had to use this one as my picture at the entrance was blurry.

Sautee Ditch.

Headed into Anna Ruby Falls...

...to drop of the car for the shuttle...

...what a beautiful...

...autumn day.

Our group taken by Jim...

...then Randy.


Anyway, the Smith Creek Trail is a five-mile path that is rated strenuous by the state park map. While I will say it had a nice climb it wasn’t too bad. It had some creek crossings, with and without footbridges.

Start of Smith Creek Trail...

...five miles one-way.

Here are a number of trail photos.


1

2

3

At a footbridge...

...& a creek crossing.

I need to stop here and take issue with one problem I had with this trail. OK, let me just say it this trail needs so maintenance and I mean a lot of maintenance! As can be seen from my pictures below there were a number of spots where trees were on the trail. One spot was pretty hard to get through because of where it was a detour was not possible. In another spot one of our group almost fell down the side of a hill trying to get past another fallen tree. I know we don’t like to pay for anything, but this trail needs some TLC.

Here are some of the examples off spots that need maintenance...

...this was as hard to get through than it looks...

...this wasn't that hard...

...& here this tree had been cut...

...but not this one...

...or this one...

...or this, the spot where one of our group almost got hurt.

You could actually go under this one.


On the eve of All Hallows Eve means this hike was in the middle of autumn, and in the mountains that means fall colors. It was also a day before that Halloween storm moved through so the trees were still full, and beautiful.

Here is a set of 18 autumn color shots from the trail.



















 Oh, I need to add there was some nice spring colors back in April of 2013.




Photo By Clint Arrington.


With that said, the best thing about this trail is that it comes out right at the falls. This provides a nice segue way so I can talk a little about Anna Ruby Falls. While Amicalola Falls is the king of waterfalls in Georgia, Anna Ruby is the queen. These cascading falls is actually a double waterfall. The smaller half, a 50-foot drop, is on the right and is fed by York Creek. The larger 153-foot cascade is on Curtis Creek and both of these merge to form Smith Creek (which the trail I was on is named). There are two viewing decks and a footbridge where one can enjoy the majesty of these falls. Unlike others like Amicalola and Cane Creek there is no Top of the Falls view. With that said I know there are some other great waterfalls, I just think this is second best.


Where the trail exits at the falls.

Information about Anna Ruby Falls...

...& Anna Ruby Falls.

At the falls in October.




The footbridge that connects the upper & lower overlooks.

Looking back toward Smith Creek.




The 153-foot big sister...

...& the 50-foot little one.

Near the base of the falls.

Panorama of the falls with autumn colors.

More of...

...Smith Creek...

...& the beauty of fall leaves...

& water.


One thing that I got to do on my second visit was go to the visitors center. On my first trip here, because we got there a little late we wanted to make sure we saw the falls. So, by the time we got back the visitor center had closed. That was not the case in October, I got back in plenty of time and it was a very good one. Oh, one other thing that was added was a really cool statue of Smokey Bear. Well, if you are ever in or near Helen (or even hate Helen) a visit to Anna Ruby Falls is a must.

The visitor center.

Smokey Bear.

Remember only you can prevent forest fires!

The moonshine still in autumn.

Even in october there were still wildflowers, butterflies...

...& honey bees.

Panorama of the visitor center.


Another reason to visit the Helen area is the a aforementioned Unicoi State Park. Besides trails there is a beautiful lake and some cool cabins that look like barrels. It is also worth a look.

Unicoi S.P. Visitor Center.

Every Georgia visitor center has a bear.

On this day I hiked the Lake Trail.

The lake in autumn...

...& spring.

April, 2013...

October, 2014.

The Beach House.

Looking back from the far side of the lake.

The Lake Trail...


...one of many overlooks on the lake.

I just like this picture.

One of the barrel cabins.

No comments:

Post a Comment