Monday, November 3, 2014

Wood Booger Top 5: Why Harry's Is Better Than Avalon Whole Foods



I was going to write this week’s Top 5 on a totally different topic, but something happen Saturday that had me change gears. On our first of the month shopping excursion we went over to Harry’s Farmers Market and found its doors shuttered.

Harry's is...

...closed.


Harry's relocating to...

...Avalon.
Inside Avalon.

From what I have read now it official closed its doors in mid-October to make way for a new shinny Whole Foods Store at the new commercial development, Avalon. It must be said that I have been shopping at Harry’s since before Whole Foods took over the store. I saw it change as Whole Foods started to make alterations that any company does when it acquires something.  Through the number of changes the charm that always made Harry’s a pleasure to shop at still remained.
Besides the great selection of organic products and the great meat counter it was the little things like at Christmas they use to have Santa and Reindeer. They also use to have a spring and fall fests. Anyone who knows me will tell you I am not very corporate. I know that Whole Foods is run by John Mackey, who I am not a big fan of (see here & here for details). Even with a company more concerned about real “green” Harry’s always felt different. 

Reindeer at Harry's.

Deb & I with Santa...

...more of Santa's reindeer.

So with a heavy heart I headed for the bright lights of the new Whole Foods at Avalon. It was what you expect it was shiny, new and cool, but was it better? Well, for this old Harry’s shopper the answer would be…no! So with that said here are the Top 5 reasons why Harry’s is better than the new Whole Foods at Avalon.

Loose Tea
Honorable Mention:  The Positives of the New Whole Foods. I decided to do the honorable mention on what I liked about the new store. The bulk food section here is better. There are more rice, grains and other items that one can buy in bulk. They also had designer salts. However, the best thing was the return of the loose tea section. I drink mostly loose tea and about the only places to find loose teas are at Asian markets like Buford’s Farmers Market and Hmart. So, this was a welcome return. Oh, it also had an orange juice machine which was cool. With that said all of this could have been added to Harry’s. I mean it was Whole Foods that took out the loose tea station at Harry’s because it once had a very good one. 


New Wine Bar
Number 5: Hipster Corporate Vibe. This is the thing that hits you when you first enter the store. It is just “cool” like an iPad. It looks more like a cool place to “hang” than a place to buy groceries. I mean half the store is now these little food kiosk and it even has an upstairs with a wine bar. I guess because of the food kiosk there are not a place for samples, because there were not near as plentiful than at Harry's. It is obvious I am not there demographic.





Harry's
Number 4: Size. This is the one that is the most evident this Avalon location is smaller. I taking about square footage of floor space, so it is obvious that it would have less stuff, but as I pointed out in Number 5 now half of this less space is taken up by eating kiosk that means less of what I come to Harry’s for grocery’s. Ever thing seems smaller including the bread area. Oh, this store is also smaller than the John’s Creek location.








Harry's Beer & Wine
Number 3: Beer and Wine. This might not be important to some, but it is to me. I will say while I don’t buy near as much beer and wine here than I once did it was once my go-to place for beer singles. Now that is mostly gone, the beer once took up a whole section at Harry’s is now regulated to 1/3 of a cooler space. While the wine section is a little bigger than the beer it is nothing compared to the old digs? Oh, but they do have a hipster wine bar…yeah!









Outside Avalon
Number 2: Parking. Here is another thing that doesn’t compare. Parking at Harry’s was large and it was easy to find a good spot and quick to get in-and-out, the Avalon was chaotic and we were lucky to find one. Also, it is harder just to get out. Remember when one is grocery shopping you don’t want to have a half-mile walk to take food to your car. It might get better, but more stores will open, so as one shopper I talked to this might not be the case.






Harry's
Avalon
Number 1: Meat Counter & Produce. Well, the meat counter at Harry’s was one of the main reasons I shopped here.While the meat and fish sections are there at Avalon there are not as big. But the big one is they totally eliminated the chicken section. Oh yes, they have prepackaged chicken, it is mostly boneless breast. I liked to pick the amount I needed and I like the bone in chicken breast (because I use it to make soup). This change is a huge loss.
At the end of the day seeing Harry’s go was like losing an old friend, Avalon just isn’t the same. I will stop here for tea and bread but as my number one shopping place I think that ship has sailed. Oh, well it does give me the chance to try some other stores, with some closer to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment