Friday, November 28, 2014

Wood Booger Top 5: 2014 Turkey Day Sides

Because of Thanksgiving Week I have waited until Turkey Day to do this week's Top 5 list. So in honor of Thanksgiving I am going to be doing the Top 5 sides of Turkey Day 2014. I am leaving off turkey and ham. These would be one and two so it wouldn't be very fair. Anyway, this is a list of sides. If anyone wants to list theirs just post it on my blog or the Facebook or Google+ link.



Honorable Mention: Cranberries - This is a go to one for every table, but there is no other dish that can vary more from year-to-year. We had the basic cranberries this year, but in the past we have had more intricate dishes. I had a very good one at the Avalon Whole Foods last week and I have a recipe for a very good dish, that I made last year.





Number 5: Deviled Eggs - This is a go to dish that I think has been at every Thanksgiving I have ever had. I once was not to hot for these, but now I love them.









Number 4: Baked Cream Corn - This is a rather new edition, for me, to the Thanksgiving table and now I couldn't imaging the day with out it. The corn is baked with cheese in dessert dishes, so it takes up no room on the plate and it is tasty.








Number 3: Mashed Potatoes & Gravy - This is getting into the heavy weights of sides and nothing is anymore traditional. I know Terry's niece Riley says she even likes them better than turkey or ham (sacrilege!). While I don't think there that good no Turkey Day would be the same without them. Oh, I added gravy because that is a no-brainier.









Number 2: Sweet Potatoes - When I was a kid I passes on these and have spent the last 30 years making up for lost time. At the Thanksgivings of my youth (and into adulthood) they were made with pineapple a marshmallows on top. Don't get me wrong I love them this way, but the last two years we have had them sliced and cooked with brown sugar, butter and cinnamon and they are delicious! But, I just love sweet potatoes.





Number 1: Dressing (Butt Stuffing) -  Stuffing is great, but there is something just a little better about the stuffing in the turkey cavity that I have always refer to it as Butt Stuffing. I know, some recommend not to put stuffing in the cavity. However, I have eaten it this way most of my life, it was always a part of Turkey Day. In recent years I have learned to make stuffing that is close to Butt Stuffing, but the stuffing in the turkey just seems to be slightly better than my best efforts to replicate it outside of the bird. These days when I make it I don't stuff it tight so it cooks through better. Anyway, it is my number one Turkey Day side for 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment