Sunday, June 5, 2016

Almost Emergency On National Trail Day


This weekend I was suppose to be in the woods in Southwest Virginia on High Knob for three-days of camping and hiking with the Clinch Coalition. I have been trying to do this hike for three years and I again didn't get to go as the weather caused the cancellation of the hike (I hope we are going to reschedule). So, after three-days in Atlanta I decided to take it a little easy Saturday, but I still wanted to do something for National Trail Day. It is on the first Saturday in June and I at least wanted to do a hike so since Deb wanted to go to her Mom's we decided to do a short outing on the Takoma Creation Health Nature Trail.

Last year's Clinch Coaltion hike (sans me).

Because I didn't go out I thought I would make my self feel better with an Oskar Weekend!

We first did this trail back in May and for a short trail it does have some elevation. So when we started out everything seemed to go fine. I will say it was pretty hot 90+ degrees. At some point the heat got to Deb as she started to feel dizzy on the last uphill. So when we reached the R Bench (yes it is for Rest) Deb sat down and then passed out.

At the start of the hike, those bricks were new. 
Deptford Pink.

Andrew Johnson....

...Overlook.

An old tree.

On the trail.

This was a new exit...

...across from Hal Henard Elementary....

...it is also a new entrance.

Camp Creek Bald.

Headed for the last, hot, uphill.

Deb needed one.

She has hiked the Roan Highlands and as Deb likes to say "I have hiked to the top of Blood Mountain" (three times) but it was the Takoma Nature Trail that got her. I caught Deb before she fell off the bench and hit the ground, but she was white as a sheet, so I decided to call 911. While on the phone with the dispatcher Deb came to and said she was alright, so I poured some water on a handkerchief and cooled her down.

Deb conquered Blood Mountain in 2013....

...& the Roan Highlands in 2014.

In front of the bench where she would later pass out.

Lucky for us while only minutes before it was sunny and hot it clouded up and then started to sprinkle and then rain. We waited a little longer and headed back. On the way I mentioned to Deb to be careful because it was getting slick and then it was me who slipped and almost took a gainer.  So the moral of the story stay hydrated and where the right clothes.
Anyway, that is how we spent National Trails Day...oh, Deb is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment