Sunday, June 5, 2016

Three Days Of Eating In The ATL


I said goodbye to spring and welcomed in (unofficial) summer in the ATL (Atlanta). While there I had to eat and I went to a number of places. Some I have blogged about before, others were first timers and still some that are long overdue a place on this blog.


Deb and I headed down on Tuesday, both of our main appointments were Thursday, but Deb had one in Dawsonville that day. We moved from here last June, so when we got there we were surprised that a Culver's had opened right there in Dawsonville. For those who don't know Culver's is a mid-western hamburger chain and I made my first visit to one in November and discussed it here. I had heard that Culver's had planned to expand out of the mid-west, but I didn't expect to see one in Dawsonville and it is the only one in Georgia. What is funny is that I was going to text my friend Marty about this Culver's being in Dawsonville, because he loves places like this, but when I went to my phone he had texted me about Culver's being in Dawsonville...crazy.




There wasn't much difference between the Dawsonville location and the one in Indiana. The hamburger was good but the best part was the frozen custard. Oh, and like my Dad, Deb didn't go for the tried and true but instead got a chicken sandwich and salad (not a good move).




That evening we went to Mellow Mushroom in Kennesaw with Clint and Cindy. When I go to Mellow Mushroom I normally stick to pizza, but on this night I decided to try the calzone. I hadn't had a calzone in a long time...not since I was in Rome and that one was one of the best things I had every eaten. Let me say that I know not to compare anything I have here with what I ate in Italy, that wouldn't be fair. So, my grade is judged against Mellow Mushrooms pizza. I got the veggie one (spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms & I added ham). It was alright, but I think next time I will just go with pizza.






Since we had went somewhere I wanted for lunch on Tuesday I let Deb pick on Wednesday. It should be no surprise that Deb picked Chipotle, but not just any Chipotle, here favorite one off Windward Parkway in Alpharetta. Instead of my usual burrito I went with a trick I read about on the Internet. I ordered a bowl and get taco shells on the side. You get more food than if you just get the tacos. I got the Barbacoa, which is the shredded seasoned beef I will say that I will get it this way again. I know Deb was happy (and it was much better than Sevierville).



That night it was time for somewhere new as Cindy and Clint treated us to dinner at a restaurant in Kennesaw named Capers. Clint does maintenance work for them so they gave him a gift card and he and Cindy shared it with us. I had a lot of options, but since the place was called Capers I though I should get something with capers and I elected for the sauteed trout. It was sauteed in a pan with fresh lemon capers beurre blanc sauce and topped with fresh capers (it is called Capers). My sides were mashed sweet potatoes and creamed spinach, it was all very good but I really like the trout and mashed sweet potatoes. Clint got the other thing I was thinking about and that was the grilled lamb (which I love) and cut me off a slice and it was excellent. For dessert I got the coconut creamed pie which I enjoyed.






The final place we ate at was after our appointments on Thursday and you could say I saved the best for last and that is the Caribbean Fiesta. Located at the corner of Old Milton and Northpoint Parkways in Alpharetta I mentioned it in the blog I did on what I would miss when I left Georgia. I have to say that it is one of my favorite places...period.




I have had the jerk chicken and oxtail and both of these are outstanding, but on this day I went with my favorite the curried goat. For some this might not sound good, but trust me it is fantastic! With it I had the red beans and rice and something I always get when I come here, fried yellow plantains...yum! Unfortunately on this day they didn't have Deb and I's favorite dessert the beard pudding with rum sauce. Let me just say it is a slice of wonderful, but the girl up front said if she couldn't have that then the carrot cake was the next best option. Well, let me just say...good call. I have to say I do miss this place.



Anyway, that is a summary of our three days of eating in the ATL.

No comments:

Post a Comment