Tuesday, August 23, 2016

After Backpacking The Harvey Broome Choice Is Italian


This summer I have been on two backpacking trips with the Harvey Broome Group of the Sierra Club. The first overnight was to the Grayson Highlands in Southwest Virginia and the second, just over a week ago at the Shining Rock Wilderness in North Carolina. After both outings, we finished up with lunch at Italian Resturants. The first I will review is a small place outside of Mountain City, TN called La Cucina Italian Kitchen that we visited on our way back from Virginia.

Our campsite in the Grayson Highlands.

It is a small family run restaurant, and it is hard to believe this gem is in Johnson County. Since it has excellent reviews you are best to make a reservation and that is what Will did for us. The inside, like the outside, is small, but quaint like someone's house. It reminded me of the German place in Weber City, VA, Gasthaus Edelweiss (which I need to review soon).

La Cucina looks like a house.

Nice views...

...as we wait for a table.

The kitchen & to the right our waitress Dolly (yes, she looks like you know who).

Our table.

As for the food, it was excellent. We started with bread which is homemade and came with some delicious dipping sauces. Then for my main course, I had the Carbonara (pasta, egg & bacon) and it was as good as advertise. I also got a taste of the Bucatini, which is pasta, sausage, and broccoli and it was just as good as my Carbonara. To finish off the meal I had an Affogato an espresso with vanilla ice cream, it was a nice finish to a great lunch. I must add that if you go to La Cucina, keep in mind it is cash only.

Menu board...

...homemade bread...

...Carbonara...

...Bucatini.

Our group.

Little over a month later I finished another backpacking trip with the Harvey Broome Group at the Shining Rock Wilderness. This time, Will lined up a dinner after the hike at Bocelli's Italian Eatery in Waynesville, NC. Unlike, La Cucina, Bocelli's is not in the countryside, but downtown. It is also a little larger than its Mountain City counterpart. The one thing they say was good Italian food.

Shining Rock Wilderness.

Downtown Waynesville....

...outside...

...Bocelli's.

Inside.

Will on the phone...

Denise doodling...

...here is mine (Mt. Pisgah)...

Art & Lenny order as Tommy gets ready.

Here we started with Breaded Mushrooms which were mighty good. Then for my main course, I went with a vegetarian option Roasted Wild Mushroom Ravioli which was  just as good as the Carbonara, I had at La Cucina, in every way. Just like in Mountain City I got a taste of the Spinach and Garlic Ravioli and it was great too. With my meal, I got the Tomato and Basil Soup. Everyone knows I am a soup guy so I know a good soup and this was one. I must also make mention of the tasty Garlic Knots that came with the meal. While not quite as good as the homemade bread at La Cucina, I still liked them a lot. So, whether you are in downtown Waynesville or in the Johnson County countryside you can find really good Italian food.

Bread Mushroom...

...Tomato & Basil Soup... 
Wild Mushroom Ravioli

Once again our group photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment