Friday, September 16, 2016

Wood Booger Top 5: Best Hikes of HikeSummer '16


Ah, summer…it is hot, humid and not my favorite season, but you would know that from HikeSummer ‘16 which I will admit one of the best yet. When the season started in June it was the height of wildflower season. From Mountain Laurel, on the way to Mount LeConte or the Flaming Azaleas of Gregory Bald, there were some great wildflowers. Then there were the two trips to the Roan Highlands and the beautiful Catawba Rohodorons show. Oh, and there was a little Wilderness Survival Training at the NOC (Natalahala Outdoor Center). July was highlighted by a backpacking trip, to Grayson Highlands State Park, with the Harvey Broome Group and I would head out with them again in August to the Shining Rock Wilderness. Then there were plenty of Appalachian Trail (AT) hikes in all three months. So, it is now time to close out HikeSummer ‘16 with the Top 5 Hikes of the season.


Honorable Mention 1: June Hike to the Roan Rhododendron Gardens & July Hike on the Roan Highlands (June 16 & July 13, 2016) - These were two hikes that I did with Deb in the Roan Highlands. The reason it is in the Honorable Mention category is one was a truly wonderful outing that would most likely be Top 5 and the other not so much. Our June hike to the Roan Rhododendron Gardens was a wonderful day out among Catawba blooms even if the Bumble Bees were loving Deb. I even got a chance to hike up to Roan High Knob, again. As good as this hike was the one on the Roan Highlands proper in July could have been better. One, most of the color was gone and two Deb wasn't feeling it. because of this, she made it only to Engine Gap and that means I made it just to Jane Bald. But I like to say any day on the Roans is better than most.


Honorable Mention 2: SOLO Wilderness Training AT the NOC & a Little Camping Too (June 29, 2016) - There wasn't a tremendous amount of hiking so it would be hard to put it in the Top 5, but if rated on the fun it would be. Glen and I went through wilderness training at the NOC's SOLO Southeast Center. The course was two days and it was informative and fun. I even got some hiking in and some were on the AT. Over our two days, we camped at the Lost Mine Campground, which was pretty cool Overall it was a great weekend and I must say, thanks, Glen.


Honorable Mention 3: Six Days of Hiking at NAS JAX (July 25-30, 2016) - When I was in Jacksonville for the week at the end of July I did plenty of hiking on the Mulberry Cove Nature Trail like I did in January of 2015. Besides the nature trail, on my birthday, my Dad and I headed over to Manatee Point Park and Fishermen's Cove Picnic Area. While these trails offer a different kind of hiking it is hiking just the same. I also spotted Great Herons, Osprey, and a Manatee. The only complaint it was over 100 degrees the whole time.


Honorable Mention 4: Backpacking Trips at Grayson Highlands & Shining Rock Wilderness with the Harvey Broome Group of the Sierra Club  (July 9-10 & Aug. 13-14, 2016) - This was a tough one. If I would have put these two backpacking trips on the list they would have been Top 3. But because they were overnight trips I decided that putting them up against day hikes is a little unfair. Oh, it choosing the one I liked best was also unfair too. The first one was back in July at Grayson Highlands State Park in Virginia. The second, back in August, took place at the Shining Rock Wilderness in North Carolina, including a trip back over Black Balsam Knob. Both were great outings to beautiful places and I also made some cool new friends. These trips were some of the highlights of the summer!


Number 5: While I Didn't Make it to Big Butt hiking Over Big Firescald Knob To Jerry's Cabin Made for an AT Day (August. 31, 2016) - The only non-June hike in the Top 5 was the last hike of summer. While I didn't make my goal of Big Butt, it was still a great day on the AT. Oh, and I did make it to Jerry's Cabin. Oh, and a lot of what made this a great day is because White Rock Cliff, Blackstack Cliffs, and Big Firescald make for a hat-trick of beautiful spots. and always makes this a great hike.


Number 4: Cumberland Gap, I went Hiking in the Cumberland Gap (June. 30, 2016) - Saying June was a great month of hiking would be an understatement and the first hike up was my inaugural trip to Cumberland Gap. I had passed through here a number of times, but I had never gotten to stop at the Cumberland Gap National Historical Park, but I changed that at the end of August. While I have hiked higher peaks, the trails were challenging and the views were great and I got to stand in the "real" Cumberland Gap, that is a cool day.


Number 3: Gregory Bald was a Flame with Azaleas on Father's Day  (June. 19, 2016) - Before my backpacking outings with the Sierra Club, actually my first hike with the Harvey Broome group was to Gregory Bald. My main reason for doing this hike was to see the Flame Azaleas on top of one of the two remaining balds in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP) that will be kept open, I had heard they were more impressive than Andrews Bald (the other one) and they more than lived up to the hype. I got to see Flame Azaleas in all different kinds of colors.  However, in the end, the best part of the hike was finding a really cool group to hike with.


Number 2: Trails & Tribulations on the Way from Rainbow Falls to Mt. LeConte (June. 11, 2016) - Well, you have to know that a LeConte hike would have to make the list. This is one of the most iconic spots in the Smokies and I headed up on a fantastic day. I did this as a loop hike, going up the Rainbow Falls Trail. I have to say the hike up to this 80-foot waterfall might have been enough to get on the list as it is one of the most popular cascades in the park. That was only a third of this hike as I had the rest of the way to the LeConte Lodge. Then I took trips out to Myrtle point and Cliff Tops, which offered much better views than last year. Finally, I took the Bullhead Trail back to the Old Sugarlands Trail and the trailhead. This was my longest hike (15+ miles), I also top my Smokies 100 and it was one of my hardest hikes ever. It all added up to a number one hike, until two days later...


Number 1: My Day with the Rhododendrons on the Roan Highlands (June. 13, 2016) - I knew when I reached Carvers Gap that this was going to top this list and be one of the greatest day hikes I have every had. At the trailhead, the colors from the Catawba Rhododendrons was out of this world and guess what it only got better. As I headed down Round Bald toward Jane Bald the pinks of the Rhododendrons was joined by the orange and yellows of the Flame Azaleas. Then when I reached Grassy Ridge Bald and Big Roan Ridge I was just blown away. As spectacular as the Roan Rhododendron Gardens were (especially this year) it was second best next to this display I enjoyed on this hike. I was so pumped when I got back to Carvers Gap I decided to head up to Roan High Knob and the highest shelter on the AT. These were just some of the reasons why this hike was number one.


No comments:

Post a Comment