Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Look Back On Windy Day At Mount LeConte For The 6th Annual Thanksgiving Weekend Hike


Yes, Metrological Winter is here and we are in the middle of the Yule Season, but let us go back to Thanksgiving for the annual hike. This year the Sixth Annual Thanksgiving Weekend Hike took place this year at Mount LeConte on Black Friday.




The hike was on the Alum Caves Trail out and back. Because this hike will be a part of a future Five Trails of LeConte blog I won't go into details about the hike. But, I did go past Arch Rock, the rock arch known as the "Key Hole" or "the Eye of the Needle" and Alum Caves Bluffs on the way to Mount LeConte.  







I will say it got cold and windy, especially at the top with temps in the mid-'20s and sustained winds of 35+ with gust topping that, making for single digit wind chills. I couldn't feel my hands up there. Also, the LeConte Lodge was closed for the season, so there was no date on the sign. Even with the wind and head cold I got from it, this turned out to be a memorable day out.













Oh, after hiking 10 miles with some great people, I went to the Ice Bears game where they beat Fayetteville in a shootout 5-4. 


No comments:

Post a Comment