Thursday, June 3, 2021

When On The Mountain (Especially Max Patch)…Do What The Sign Says!

 

Now and then something comes along that requires a rant. Most times it seems to involve trash at some of my favorite spots, but not this time. This rant is about people not respecting signs that are there to protect habitat in some of the Southern Appalachians. I have seen signs at other places, but this blog will focus on the site of my latest camping trip Max Patch.

My latest trip to Max Patch

If you have ever been to what I affectionally call "the Patch" this spectacular spot also has another nickname..." the Grandstand of the Smokies." The reason for this is incredible views into the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. But this is just one part of this vista as it has 360 degree views. So, being such a wonderful place means it is popular, very popular. I blogged about this last September of how people abuse this mountain. While this one isn't as much about trashing the mountain it is still a problem that is damaging to Max Patch. This is people not paying attention to the signs of closed trails on the mountain. 

Why "the Patch" is the Grandstand of the Smokies


Since my first visit there had always been three trails to the top. The two that made up the loop and the one straight up. But even back in 2013 they were trying to get people to stop using the most direct route because there was a sign on the old information kiosk. However, the US Forest Service (USFS) and the Carolina Mountain Club (CMC) got more determined. Because when I came back in 2019, the trails that went left and right at the trailhead were still open and even had new signs. However, the one that went straight to the summit had been closed. It had a sign that said as much but in addition, a wooden fence had been put up where it started up. 

The middle trail pre-2018

The fence blocking the middle trail


The loop trail pre-2018

Those trails today


On the new information kiosk, it told of the changes and to only hike on blue or white blazed (Appalachian Trail). It is pretty clear of what the USFS and CMC. However, a lot of people who come to the mountain didn't get the message. I mean I saw plenty of people going up and down this way. I guess either people can't read or just don't care. But I did witness people look at the sign and say "well there's a trail here." I said something, but they just ignored me...I am going to go with example two. 

Where I was ignored

People on the summit & coming down...the middle trail

This wasn't the only place on the mountain. Near my day two campsite. there is a sign that says not to go straight up to the summit, but just take the little extra time to go up to the AT to the summit. However, that didn't stop the parade up this closed section to the summit. I mean some people even camped on the other side of the fence. I think there is more trails to the summit since the fence and sign went up. Oh, to the left of my tent there is another sign because of another trail they are trying to close and a couple went past me (I was watching the sunset) past the sign and down.

From my campsite in 2013 & 2021

It's obvious the sign isn't working

People went down here...

...& out here (closed)

Max Patch isn't alone I have seen in places like the Roan highlands where there are signs that a large number just ignore. The signs are there for a reason I mean one at Max Patch was a carved wood one (that is funny). So, the moral of the story if there is a sign it is there for a reason ..

Signs on Jane Bald & the speical one on Max Patch (below)

No comments:

Post a Comment