Friday, June 25, 2021

There Are Bears In These Woods....Just One Highlight Of Rock Creek & Rocky Fork...

Alone you can't beat camping at Rock Creek Recreation Area and hiking at Rocky Fork State Park. Put them together and add a bear that is hard to beat on a mid-week outing.

October 2020

Unlike my first camping trip to Rock Creek, last October, where I used a walk-in site (#34) I reserved a spot this past Wednesday. This site was within the site of my October one, but the main difference this one had electricity. Site Number 32 was on Loop C was excellent and I learned two things. First, the site had access to water from not one but two spots. As for two, the bathroom on Loop C has a shower. Anyway, it was another great camping spot, but it is Rock Creek.

Heading to Erwin...

...& then...

...Rock Creek


Walk-in site #34







Dinner & a Smore




Breakfast time!

Time to go...

For the hike last Thursday, instead of heading up to Rock Creek Falls at the end of the recreation area it was decided to go to Rocky Fork State Park. It is not a secret that it is my favorite state park and what better than a trip of my trail of choice...White House Cliffs Trail. Besides the wonderful view from the peak, some great patches of Mountain Laurel are on the way up and at the top. 

One-year ago on White House





Well, that was the plan but a bear had other options. I spotted it in the wood, just off the trail probably 100 feet away. It was close and didn't move except to look up the tree. I made noise, including a "hey bear" and I got a huff in response. So, it was back the way we came because I realized it was a mama bear and her cubs were up the tree she was looking up and a park ranger confirmed this. I will admit I was more excited than scared...it was my first bear of 2021. I mean what could top that for the rest of the day, but a visit to the Whistle Stop Deli was close. There was a fantastic view of Unaka Mountain too...

Bear right off the trail...

...looking up to her cubs...

...giving me a huff



Calling the formation on top Turtle Rock



Pinnacle Mountain Tower the symbol of Unicoi

Why it is called...

...the Whistle Stop


No comments:

Post a Comment