Thursday, September 8, 2022

A Second Attempt For My Blog From The Smokies High-Country


This was going to be a much longer blog on my recent overnight to Icewater Spring Shelter in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP), but the Blogger app I was using deleted the whole thing when I was almost done! So, I'm not going to try and re-transcribe it because I just don't want to (it was pretty long) and it has been a fortnight ago, so I just want to get it up. . So, on Wednesday, this was my first shelter overnight since 2019 and first time to Icewater Spring since 2018. It had been even longer since going to Charlie's Bunion (November 2017). I also hiked for the first time to the Sawtooth.

Arriving at GSMNP.

Heading up the Newfound Gap Road.
Morton Overlook.

Starting down the AT from Newfound Gap.

Collection of AT blaze trees.

Heading on the AT to the...

...Boulevard Trail junction.

My home for the night...Icewater Spring Hilton (Shelter).

To Charlie's Bunion junction, but I'm not stopping...

...heading past Dry Sluice Gap to the Sawtooth.

The Sawtooth (unassisted) view...

...& tech assisted looking into TN...

...& NC.

The "Original" Charlie's Bunion...

...the trail-up was grown up.

The (real) Charlie's Bunion.

Heading past the old tree headed back on the AT.

When I got back a group from SAWS was doing trail work & set up at the shelter (with bear fence).

Then Thursday, after hiking the Appalachian Trail (AT) back to Newfound Gap I headed up to Kuwahi (Clingmans Dome) for the loop hike to a cloud-covered tower (it was clear when I started up). Anyway, I will add descriptions in the pictures on some of the things I left out. Oh, if you are wondering where are the bears? Well, I didn't want them buried in this blog, so I am going to do their own blog. If you want to view more photos check them out on my SmugMug...

Heading back on the AT.

A mega-Widow Maker.

Back at Newfound Gap.

Headed on the Clingmans (Kuwahi) Bypass Trail to the AT.

Mt. Buckley View...the last around the top.

Summit of Kuwahi & the Clingmans (Smoky) Dome Tower.

It was crowded & socked in.

On the way down it started raining.

The view from the parking area at my start & end.





No comments:

Post a Comment