Monday, July 31, 2023

ATC Trail Maintenance Workshop Sunday, Funday At Tanyard Gap


Doing trail work is a skill, and like any field of expertise, it takes time and learning to master this trade. That's why I attended an Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) Trail Workshop at Tanyard Gap near Hot Springs on Sunday.
The original plan was to meet at Mill Ridge parking area, but because of a threat of rain it was changed to Tanyard Gap, as readers of this blog know, I have hiked out of here many times. 


There were six of us for our workshop plus our trainer Greg Ritson. He went over the array of tools used in trail work. Tools like Pickaxe, Hazel, Rouge Hoes, and my favorite Pulaski. Once on the trail, we talked about placing cribs, cleaning, and fixing waterbars plus other kinds of water diversion. One of the most important things I learned was to get rid of berms. Berms develop on the edge of the trail on the front slope of the path. We also did some hands-on removing berms and doing some water diversions. I will say I learned quite a bit during the workshop, which is always a good day...






No comments:

Post a Comment