Sunday, July 9, 2023

Hard Day On AT-CMC Section Better With Help


This past Thursday, I was back on the section of the Appalachian Trail (AT) that I help take care of, for the Carolina Mountain Club (CMC), to do some weed-eating.
However, I wasn't alone. I had help (and I don't mean Pete), but Dennis Boone, who is helping me on the section. See it three miles one way, and according to an AT Thru-hiker I met, Handmade, he does maintenance for the Potomac AT Club and said their crews usually only took care of a mile Oh, those three miles don't include the two (at minimum) just to the AT and the section. So, any help is appreciated! Dennis and Paul came up the week before to do some of the weeding, but unfortunately, I couldn't come because of the sickness going around. So, we just had about half the section to do, including the area around the shelter as it had grown again. 

Heading up to...

...to Round Knob & Connector Trail.


Reaching the AT...Dennis left me a message.

High Summer AT.

Where Dennis weeded.

Before & after weeding at Jerry Cabin Shelter.

Some old & new signs.

Anyway, Pete was right about a few things. First, Dennis did have a great weedeater, and second, my damn bag was heavy. I will finish by saying I appreciated the help, because these trips might look all fun, but this one was bloody hard! I don't know if I was ever so glad to see the car on this day...I was gassed! 

More pictures of the weeding around the shelter.

(Clockwise) Roseby Rhododendron, Roundleaf Catchfly, Mountain Laurel, Zigzag Spiderwort, Star Tickseed

Dennis Doing Work.

Where we weeded too.

I ran out of water & thought of drinking from the many puddles...that was a beautiful site!

The clouds from earlier had cleared.

That is why it's surprising I was able to hike some of the Tusculum Trail because I was sore and tired...extremely!



No comments:

Post a Comment