Thursday, March 17, 2016

Second Annual St. Patty's Day Hike This Year To The Humps


Today was the second annual St. Patrick’s Day Hike to the Humps on the Roan Highlands. Last year’s hike was to the Hike Inn up the AT Approach Trail from Amicalola Falls State Park and clocked in at 10 miles. While today’s Hike on the Humps clocked in just under 10 miles., but it was tougher and more spectacular! You may ask what do I mean buy the Humps?


It is the two mountains on the northern edge of the Roan Highlands the smaller (5,459 ft.) is Little Hump Mountain and its big brother is the 128 ft. taller Hump Mountain (5,587 ft.). While I am going to write a more in depth Roan Highlands Part 2 blog this will be a quick overview. It is a two hour drive to the trailhead on Roaring Creek Road. The first part of the hike was up to the Overmountain Shelter Area, which is a converted old barn. 



Next it is up the Blue Blaze Trail to Yellow Mountain Gap and a junction with the Appalachian Trail (AT). The trail is a gentle climb on a ridge-line, before coming to the open bald where the AT heads up Little Hump Mountain. 







After leaving the views and summit the AT snakes through the woods an opening area and back into the woods before coming out at Bradley Gap. From here it is a just under a mile but the climb up the AT is steep. 



Making things tougher was the howling winds on the bald. Before coming out Mountain Forecast said 30 mph winds, but it was more like 45 with wind chills in the 20’s. But, I was prepared with a toque and my winter hiking jacket. 



The vistas at the summit of Hump Mountain are awe inspiring and well worth any trouble with the wind getting to the top. I also visited the Stan Murray Memorial about 100 yards north of the summit. 





On the way back I took a side trail up another bald, that I am calling Little Yellow Mountain, which gave an excellent view of Little Hump Mountain. After following this road down I reconnected with the AT. I got to spread a little Trail Magic as I warned some thru-hikers that the winds on the Humps was rough. Even with the breezy conditions it was another great St. Patty’s Day Hike. 






Finally I just have to mention on the way home I had to take a detour off TN-362 because a woman’s truck had caught on fire...it was scary!

No comments:

Post a Comment