Friday, March 4, 2016

Wood Booger Top 5: Best Hikes of WinterOutdoors '15-16


How do you know it is spring? Before wildflowers bloom, or trees leave out or even before Snow Miser lose his icy grip WinterOutdoors comes to an end. Since it has it is time for the Top 5 Hikes of WinterOutdoors '15-16. For a while it looked like it was going to be a lean hiking season because in the first two months there were just five outings. However, things picked up in February with four hikes and you will notice all of them made the Top 5. So, here are the Top 5 of WinterOutdoors '15-16.


Honorable Mention 1: Hiking, Grilling & Moving Bridge Beams...Just Another Weekend In Southwest Virginia (Dec. 4 to 6, 2015) - This was the first outing of the year and it had a little bit everything. As for the hike it was short but tough with some steep spots (up to 70% grade). The weekend was extra special as it was the last time Daisy went to the Cabin. She seemed happy there which was great and I will always hold this weekend fondly.


Honorable Mention 2: AT Yule Hike @ Hot Springs (Dec. 20, 2015) - This one just missed the Top 5 (knocked out by the last hike of the season), but since December is all about the Holidays and this was my Yule hike I wanted it to at least place as an Honorable Mention. The hike was at Hot Springs on the Appalachian Trail (AT) up past Lovers Leap. Unlike in the summer I didn’t cut the hike short taking the Silvermine Trail back to Hot Springs, but followed the AT on to Pump Gap and then took the trail of the same name back to the trailhead. I then hiked through Hot Springs to the point where the AT comes into town. Oh, and I also enjoyed all of the Christmas decorations, it was a nice day out.


Number 5: From Newfound Gap To Cades Cove & Abrams Falls...That Is A Full Day In The GSMNP (Feb. 19, 2016) - It is hard for a Smokies hike not to make the Top 5 and especially one of this quality out to Abrams Falls. One of the knocks on this day out was I spent way more time driving than hiking (eight hours as compared to three on the trail). However, the hike was excellent. The trail out to Abrams Falls is 2.5 miles and comes to a beautiful 25-foot punch bowl cascade which I will say is the best I have visited so far in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP)...sorry Plumb it isn’t two stars. Before I got back to the trailhead I added another mile round-trip with a visit to the Elijah Oliver Cabin. Oh, I got to drive through Cades Cove...again, another plus.


Number 4: Super Bowl Weekend AT Hike South At Sams Gap To Hogback Ridge Shelter (Feb. 6, 2016) - This hike just sneaked past the Abrams Falls day for fourth on the list. Hiking out of Sams Gap is something I have wanted to do for quite a while and it didn’t disappoint. I went south first hitting High Rocks, which is a nice winter vista and then my turn around point was at Hogback Ridge Shelter. This is a nice one with bear cables and a privy. I will say this hike remained me of some I had in Georgia it was just a solid AT hike. I will add that the parking area at Sams Gap is first class, I will be come back here in the future.


Number 3: AT Hiking, Eating At The Whistle Stop & One Stop To End The Day (Feb. 2, 2016) - This was the surprise hike of the season. The main reason I wanted to do this hike was from a picture from the big AT book. Once you do this hike one will be surprised that there is not more fanfare for it. The trip is out of the Chestoa area near Erwin. There is plenty of parking here, it passes over a beautiful stretch of the Nolichucky River and goes a stones throw from Uncle Johnny’s Hostel & Outfitters. While the hike up the AT is steep, with the switch-backing it is not super strenuous. Oh, and the view, Cliff Ridge is just a series of beautiful outcrops with vistas of the Nolichucky Gorge and Buffalo Valley. You can make this hike as long as you want, I turned around at Temple Ridge for a six mile outing. I will be doing this one again (& again).


Number 2: Day Hike In The GSMNP To Mt. Sterling (Dec. 16, 2015) - Well it is back to the Smokies for a hike that was high on my GSMNP Bucket list and that is up to the Mount Sterling Fire Tower. This was the first time I had hiked in the east end of the park. The trail to the fire tower starts at Mount Sterling Gap, which requires a six mile drive up a Forest Service Road or old NC 284. From here it is a 5.5 mile out-back up a scenic but steep trail, and unlike Number 3 on this list, it doesn’t switchback a lot. The final half-mile up is on the Benton MacKaye Trail before arriving at the summit. You will know when you get here because there is a 60-foot old fire sentinel rising out of the evergreens. On the day I was there it was windy at the summit and made for a white-knuckle climb, but let me say at the top the view was more then worth it. There are not many better vistas in the Smokies than this one. Because of this, Mt. Sterling was at the top of the list right-up to the final days of the winter season, until...



Number 1: GSMNP Hike On The AT To Charlies Bunion & A Lost Hiker Tunnel (Feb. 28, 2016) - There are hikes you know are going to be great right at the trailhead and this is one of those. Now I had done the hike before, but not in the winter. When I arrived at Newfound Gap there was snow, but it wasn’t until I got on the trail I found how much. Less than a half-mile in I had to get out my YakTrax because of the ice and snow, which saved the day. Let me just say while this trail was beautiful in summer the High Country was even better in the winter. Oh, and so were the views on the ridgeline and at Charlies Bunion itself. Because of the clear blue winter sky you could see from miles. On this day I then took the Bunion trail north back to the AT and then climb up to the top of Fodderstack which has wonderful views, including the Bunion itself. The hike back, while sloppier, was just as picturesque. The only difference with this hike than summer was I didn’t go to the Jumpoff, but once back at Newfound Gap I did seek out the Hiker Tunnel. This is a “lost” hiker tunnel that passes under Clingmans Dome Road, which I first heard about last year, it was really cool. I then hiked down to the still snowy AT and followed it back to Newfound Gap. This hike is a Top 10 all-time maybe even Top 5, this was a wonderful day and end to WinterOutdoors ‘15-16.

No comments:

Post a Comment