Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Back To Campus Drive-In Gate City


Tuesday, on the way to the Clinch Coalition meeting near Norton, VA, Dad and I stopped in Gate City to eat at the Campus Drive-In. This place has been around since 1955 and I remember eating here as a kid. I would guess it gets the name from being close to Gate City High School. It is one of the old school hamburger joints that you will find in most small towns, Rogersville has one called the Golden Dairy. So, I ordered the Jumbo Bacon Cheese Burger. It was a double meat patty with cheese and bacon. While not Hobart good it was a very solid old fashion hamburger. I got tater-tots to go with the burger. I went this way because most places don't have tots and it was a good choice as my Dad's french fries were cold (but my tots were hot...go figure). Anyway, if in Gate City the Campus Drive-In is a nice change from fast food Speaking of fast food I must mention the McDonald's in Gate City. Located in Gateway Plaza I was struck when I went in to get coffee of the menu board. It was a video screen, which I couldn't see with my sunglasses on, I had to change to my regular glasses. It just wasn't the type of thing you expect to see in Gate City.






No comments:

Post a Comment