Thursday, June 25, 2015

GSMNP Hike To The Jumpoff & Charlies Bunion

Recently I have been dealing with a flooded apartment and moving stuff so it hasn't left me much time to hit the trail. These problems cost me two overnight hikes that I wanted to do this summer. The third hike I wanted to do was the Jumpoff and the Charlies Bunion in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP). When Thursday looked like a nice day I decided I needed to get out and this was the only hike I was going to do. It was also my first solo hike since going to Rabun Bald and Black Rock Mountain back in November. So, this past morning got up early and I headed for the Smokies. This hike starts at the Newfound Gap Parking Area and takes the Appalachian Trail (AT), 2.7 miles where it intersects with the Boulevard Trail. I decided to do the Jumpoff first, so I headed up the Boulevard for 0.3 miles to sign pointing to the the Jumpoff Trail. This trail is roughed and steep, but the vista is well worth it. After enjoying this spot it was back to heading north on the AT for 1.3 miles out to the Charlies Bunion. Let me say that this is one of the best spots not just in the Smokies, but the southern Appalachian Mountains. Let me say that this 9.5-mile hike, like the Jumpoff and the Charlies Bunion, were all AWESOME! 

No comments:

Post a Comment