Saturday, February 18, 2017

I Found Snow Miser On The Roan Highlands


Winter, it is that season which and has snow.  So, Friday I went looking for the Snow Miser on the Roan Highlands. I didn't know what to expect when I got to Carvers Gap. I know the weather forecast was windy with wind chills in the teens. What I wanted when I got to Carvers Gap was snow, but on my way, there was no white stuff to be found. I decided to push on and when I stopped at the Roan Mountain State Park Visitor Center and there was snow.

Little snowman at the visitor center.

The closer I got to the Roan Highlands the more froze water I passed. So, I was pleasantly surprised with the snow at Carvers Gap. The only thing I had to worry about was the ice covered parking. I was surprised by the calm winds at Carver Gap, but that soon changed heading up to Round Bald.

The road up had snow.

Carvers Gap...

...& parking (that is ice under my car).

Snow covered AT.

While the wind was biting at times the view was spectacular. While the climb up Round Bald was uneventful the one up Jane Bald was far icier, so I had to pull out the YakTraks for the first time this year. I had to pull them on twice more on the climb up and down Grassy Ridge Bald.

View from the summit of Round Bald.

Jane Bald from Engine Gap.

Vista from Jane Bald.

The Jane Bald sign was still standing in July...

...but not now.

Next stop Grassy Ridge Bald....

...I had to put on these...

...because of this.

Speaking of Grassy Ridge Bald it was way, way windier at the top of the bald than down below. Since it was windy here I decided to eat my lunch on the way back at Jane Bald, so because of that, I hiked on out to Big Roan Ridge. It wasn't nearly as beautiful as back in June, but nice just the same.

At the Grassy Ridge Summitt...

....Big & Little Hump Mountains.

Big Roan Ridge in June...

...& Friday.

At the end of Big Roan Ridge is...

...a great view of Grandfather Mountain.

As the temperature went up the trail started to melt and got really sloppy. When I reached the bottom of Jane Bald I wasn't paying attention and I slipped on some icy mud. I was alright, except for the broken finger, but it didn't come close ruining the day. It was an exceptional hike at one of my favorite places.

On the way back there was some ice...

...but most of it was sloppy & slippery...

...my finger can attest.

Snow is disappearing.

Head up, Round Bald.

Dr. Brown's Trees.

End of the day at Carvers Gap.

Because of this, I will be doing a PhotoBlog because this hike was way too good for just one blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment